1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speakerless in Sicily

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris52, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I lose sound in my speakers now and again and the only way to get the sound back is to restart the computer. I have a new Sony Vaio (about 4 mo's old) running WinXP. Anybody have any clues? :confused:

2. winbob

winbob

When the sound goes off are you in the process of playing music, etc or does it go unavailable BETWEEN uses?

When it is unavailable, check the status of the sound devices in Device Mgr...is everything OK???

What about the volume control...muted, or all the way down???

Check Control Panel/Sounds&Audio... under the audio Tab, is the correct device selected for sound playback?

3. ranger007

ranger007

Call/contact Sony.

Good luck.

4. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts winbob. The volume is set right, devices show it as working properly and the correct device is selected for playback. I will lose sound at random. Never when I am listening to something, but it will be fine, then I go back to listen to something and I can't hear it. As soon as I restart, they work fine. As a matter of fact, during shutdown, I can hear the windows chime, sound, warning....whatever it is, that plays just before shut down or restart. Very puzzled here. Any help would be great. Are you a printer man as well, I am getting ready to post on on that *@#! thing. Thanks again.

Chris

5. winbob

winbob

Your last comment makes me think that some app has gotten control of the sound device. However, I would expect that you would get a msg to that effect????
    Next time you lose sound bring up Task Mgr Screen (Ctl-Alt-Del) and check over the list of processes. See if there is anything unexpected running that might use sound.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice