1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speakers and headphones working at the same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simon3322, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simon3322

simon3322 Thread Starter

right fellas bit of a problem here. today i joined a clan in call of duty: world at war for the first time and they said i need to get a headset. so i got my headset (mich extra) and plugged it in and realised that sound was coming out of my headphones AND the monitor mounted speakers!!!:eek:
    If you guys could tell me what to do that would be much aprreciated
    thanks simmo

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds like a problem with the headphone jack. Normally, when you plug the headphones in, it switches off the speakers. It could also be the audio drivers, depending on the exact motherboard and/or audio adapter configuration.

3. Soundy

Soundy

Quick and easy fix: unplug the audio wire going to your monitor.

4. guy2

guy2

Sorry if i seem like im hijacking this post but i believe this is relevant.

Does anyone know why this happens on stereos?

This used to really bug me because i would try to connect 2 small systems up when i was a kid with a Y cord and id ,well not what i expected.

I would get no sound usually but strangely enough i would sometimes get sound from one out put ,using a portable cd player ,i would just like to know why i cant do this successfully with a Y cord using tape adapters or aux.

5. Soundy

Soundy

Umm... not really clear for that^ what you were trying to do... but I'm sure if you start your own thread (maybe under the DIY section), and explain it a little better, some people would glad to ponder it...

6. iamubiquitous

iamubiquitous

To guy2:

Older systems sometimes used a common ground for the right and left channel, this was found to encourage 'crosstalk' and was discontinued. As a result,when you plugged in cables that did not use a common ground ground for both speakers (outputs), you would get varying results depending on the units you were trying to interconnect.

7. iamubiquitous

iamubiquitous

What is your operating system? Vista has a 'mixer' that will allow you to individually control sound for all sources currently utilizing the sound processor. Right-clic the volume icon in the system tray and select : 'Open Volume Mixer'

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice