1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speakers don't always play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sacoite1, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

I have a speaker system that consists of a sub-woofer and four smaller speakers. Until a week ago; they were all working properly. Now they seem to have a mind of their own. Here are the symptoms of the problem.
    When Windows starts; the start-up sound plays through the front speakers and the sub only. When I play an audio cd on Windows Media Player; the sound plays through the front speakers and the sub only. If I play a video game on the cd-rom; it plays through all of the speakers. If I listen to music sent to me by E-mail; I hear it through all of the speakers also.
    All I can think is that I must messed with a "setting" somewhere by mistake. My sound card has lots of "toys" that I play with alot. Maybe that's where the problem is ??? I dunno. Help is appreciated....I would like to get all my speakers back all the time. Thanks in advance..........Joe

I run Win 2000 Pro and my sound card is Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1

2. brianF

brianF

Try going to start/settings/control panel/sounds and multimedia/audito tab.

Preferred device sblive wave device, hit the advanced button, select quad speakers.

3. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

Hi Brian....Thanks for your reply. Those settings were already in place. The answer must be elsewhere....Joe

4. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon

Try going into Creatives software settings - the surround mixer, and make sure your speakers are set to 4 speakers. Also, check the "Digital Output Only" if your speakers are digital.

5. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

Thanks voodoomelon....I took your advice and got into the video card surround mixer. It was set to 4 speakers already; so I checked the "digital output only" box.....all speakers shut off. I guess this means that my speakers are not digital. The sound came back when I un-checked the box. There is good news though. You have me headed in the right direction. While I was in the surround mixer; I clicked on "EAX"....10 little boxes popped up....I clicked on the one that said "cd audio" and VOILA...the cd's now play with all 4 speakers...GREAT !! I'm not quite sure what I did or what the other 9 boxes do; but I must have messed with them a while ago. Sometimes my "clicks" just turn into "CLUNKS" when I don't know I'm doing. The Windows "start-up wav" still plays with only 2 speakers though. I'll keep looking....the answer must be in this mixer someplace. It wouldn't bother most people...but I'm an audio nut and it bugs me when the sound doesn't work right. Any more ideas ??? Thanks again...Joe

6. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon

With sound on pcs, as you know, there are several factors which can affect the way you hear your audio, the speakers, proper cables, soundcard, volume controls, soundcard software like EAX which complicates things even further. So it makes it very difficult to get to the source of a problem without actually seeing the setup you have.
    What i would suggest is going to Soundblaster.com and submitting your problem to Creatives team via e-mail. They should solve your problem.

7. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

Thanks Voodoomelon for the suggestion. I'll give it a go!!...Joe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice