1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speakers make buzzing/hiss/grinding noise and internet drops until sound stops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by falou, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. falou

falou Thread Starter

So this problem seemed to come out of nowhere, I have no idea why it started. Basically, when I use my internet, eg: opening link, loading video or downloading randomly my speakers make a grinding noise and until the noise stops (can be 1-10 seconds) my internet drops (the internet icon on the bottom right shows it is still connected but nothing loads until the noise stops. Even then, the noise can drop in and out like 10 times in a minute and is constantly messing up the internet.

If someone could help, it would be much appreciated, my speakers are Logitech (doubt that makes much difference as I doubt the problem is linked to them and my LAN card is some Ralink thing, nothing special.

Here is a low volume recording of the noise, turn up your speakers to hear it well.

2. aguyinaskimask

aguyinaskimask

Sounds like possible wireless interference. Do you own cordless phones, and if so are they near your wireless router? This is a very common problem nowadays since the phones/router work on a similar frequency. Try changing the channel that your wireless router works on, channels 1, 6 or 11 work best. To do this, on most routers you would type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser and log in with the default username/password which may be username "admin" password "admin" or just blank for password. Hope this helps, it does definitely sound like interference.

3. falou

falou Thread Starter

Yes, I do and they are. I changed the channel to 1, 6 and 11 but it still occurred on every channel. Any other ideas?

4. aguyinaskimask

aguyinaskimask

Try changing the channel on your cordless phones as well

5. aguyinaskimask

aguyinaskimask

does it happen directly plugged into the modem when you eliminate your wireless router?

6. falou

falou Thread Starter

Any idea on how to do this?

I have a wireless connection through a couple rooms, so I can't really check if I just plug it into the modem.

7. haryl87

haryl87

Change the output frequency

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice