1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speakers not working after install of graphics card

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by JoshMcg, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

So, I bought a new graphics card after my old one died on me. I successfully installed the new one - XFX ATI Radeon 5670 - and ever since it was done, my speakers no longer work and I can't figure out why? Any thoughts on if there is a simple way to resolve this would be helpful...thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Verify the default audio output device. The new video card most likely has HDMI output, which means it also has an audio chipset for supply audio over HDMI. During the driver install, the default audio output device was likely changed from your sound card/audio chipset, to the new HDMI audio output device. Simply change it back.

3. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

ok, I get what you're saying, but where exactly would I find the area in which to change it back?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Control Panel / Audio Settings. Exact location will depend upon the OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice