1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Speakers not working on new PC build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thagoden, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16344 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: B: Total - 254 MB, Free - 254 MB; C: Total - 228133 MB, Free - 64795 MB; G: Total - 3815317 MB, Free - 837715 MB; I: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 1325057 MB; U: Total - 953868 MB, Free - 545910 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION(MS-7968)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hello,
    New PC build, Sound.png

Latest Realtek Drivers installed a number of times (Driver - Realtek HD Audio 6.0.1.7885)
    Latest Nvidia Drivers installed via GeForce Experience (Driver - version: 372.54)

I can get sound through my BenQ display (via Display Port), but I can't get any sound from front Jack or the Rear IO Jack.
    When I plug my speakers into either of the Jacks it doesn't register at all. No 'new device detected' sound either. At first I thought it might be the New Mobo, but the more I look on the net, the more I suspect the GPU. I have been looking to fix this for days.
    In the uploaded file you can see...
    Speakers
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Not Plugged in

The Issue is the 'greyed out speakers with the red arrow. 'Set as Default Device' is Greyed out, so i cant change it. It says that nothing is plugged in when the speakers are plugged in and yes the speaker do work because again they work fine when plugged into my Display.
    I'm sure I can't be the only person who has had this problem. I paid good money for the Mobo and taking an easy fix like buying a Sound card is not the fix I'm looking for, as I'm sure there is a fix for this somewhere.

Thank you for any help given in advance.

Thagoden

2. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

oh and I also disabled the 2 Nvidia audio drivers (sound, video, and game controllers) and that did nothing. I also Uninstalled them and to no avail. Reinstalled so I can at least get sound via Display

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Do you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon in the system tray? You may have to make your changes there from digital to Realtek HD audio. If not in your tray look in your programs.

4. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for your response.

Yes Realtek is in my Notifications and I found a number of things on the internet that was recommended to try and none of them worked. I think the problem is the Jacks are 'Greyed Out' (Red Circles on upload) here as well. Every time I think I find someone on the internet with exactly the same problem, they seem to get impatient and they just go buy a Sound Card, so no solutions is ever found or written up. I paid a good price for the Moboard and would like to see if there is a fix before just getting a sound card.

It may be that the sound on the IO is dead but I don't know how to check. The drivers say the jack is working, yet they are 'Greyed Out'. The reason I don't think the IO is dead is that the Headphone Jack on the front is not working either and it was working before I did this new build, So I'm at a loss.

Like I said before I find things on the internet where people seem to have the same issue and its been when they put in a new GPU. I will take out the GPU today and see what happens there.

Attached Files:

5. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for your response.

Yes Realtek is in my Notifications and I found a number of things on the internet that was recommended to try and none of them worked. I think the problem is the Jacks are 'Greyed Out' (Red Circles on upload) here as well. Every time I think I find someone on the internet with exactly the same problem, they seem to get impatient and they just go buy a Sound Card, so no solutions is ever found or written up. I paid a good price for the Moboard and would like to see if there is a fix before just getting a sound card.

It may be that the sound on the IO is dead but I don't know how to check. The drivers say the jack is working, yet they are 'Greyed Out'. The reason I don't think the IO is dead is that the Headphone Jack on the front is not working either and it was working before I did this new build, So I'm at a loss.

Like I said before I find things on the internet where people seem to have the same issue and its been when they put in a new GPU. I will take out the GPU today and see what happens there.

Attached Files:

6. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

So I took out the GTX 1070 and put my GTX 970 back in, plugged speakers into the back, booted pc back up and no change, so maybe the GPU isn't the problem. I guess I may end up having to get the sound card the way things are going, lol. So maybe its the MoBo?

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

8. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Hey Lynx. Updated Bios to Ver. 1.8 (I feel like a Derp. I thought the MSI update tool did it when I asked it to but it had not), but that didn't work either, as for Nahimic Sound Technology, I did have it installed, but it clashed with Steam Game 'Empyrion - Galactic Survival' (brown screen), so I had to uninstall it, but I still had the problem when it was installed, and my latest Realtek is already 6.0.1.7886. It was the first thing I checked and updated. I am also getting support from MSI and they asked me to Clear Cmos and reset (F6) Bios to Optimized Defaults. Unfortunately, this also didn't work. I noticed the part you said about only getting Realtek Driver from MSI site. I’m sure I got it from the MSI update utility but I deleted the Realtek Drivers again, downloaded from the MSI Site and reinstalled. Still not working. The Speakers continue to be ‘greyed out’ with the down red arrow.

Hey I'm Happy to try anything at this stage. would like to solve this rather than abandon it as I can't be the only person to have or had this issue. It needs to be fix if possible so I'm grateful for any continued help and you time.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

8-25-2016 11-40-24 AM.png I guess you checked to see if the HD audio
    controller was enabled in Bios?

11. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Yes. Again it was one of the first things the internet suggested. So MSI suggested I re-install windows 10 before politely telling me if that didn't work, to go see the store I purchased it from, to give me support (which on the stores website said they don't provide support) Gr8. Thanks MSI. So I saved my important things. Formated my SSD to wipe everything and did a fresh install with a 'brand new', never before used windows 10 usb. AND...... it didn't work. Same exact problem. As soon as pc is back up to date I'm going to look into ur previous post, Lynx. looks like I will have no option but to go the sound card route, which really sux.

12. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

I tried what the person suggested in one of the above links and it didn't work either. Seems like I'm going to have no option but to get a sound card.

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

I did see 1 person with your problem ended up RMA his board and his new board was ok. It could be a manufacturing defect.

14. Thagoden

Thagoden Thread Starter

Yeah I think its either RMA or sound card. Thank you for all your help.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice