Speakers plugged in, volume up, still no sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

txdemocrat

About a day ago, my computer suddenly stopped playing sounds. I have the speakers plugged in, and I also have the volume at a level where I would normally hear something. Can anyone assist me?

hi, i think a little more info may be needed like brand/model of pc and if it has a sound card fitted etc.

Happy Birthday.

Bill
London UK.

txdemocrat

I have a Windows XP Home Edition computer. I don't think I had a sound card (is Realtek AC97 Audio a sound card?)

yes that is a soundcard so it may be that its stopped working and needs replacing, it would be where id start and if not im sure someone on this forum will be able to help allthough its probably a hardware issue.

Bill

AC97 can be implemented on the mainboard (browse through the mainboard manual to see). It still could be a driver issue. Try if Windows Update suggests new drivers, or try to find new audio drivers for your mainboard. Some PC manufacturers have a driver download page where you can lookup your PC's model. You could try a stand-alone driver, but if the AC97 is indeed implemented on the mainboard, it could fail.

Go to Device Manager->Sound, Video & Game Controllers. Try to find your Audio Card listing there. Try to uninstall that & restart the computer. This will try to fix if the Drivers are causing an issue. Of course, make sure that you have the Drivers CD of the computer that was supplied by the Hardware Manufacturer handy, just in case, becuase XP OS would try to reinstall the Drivers. But any ways have it handy before uninstalling

hi, not meaning to step on anybodys toes, it is listed on realtek as a soundcard, but as Itspeet stated it may be on the mainboard im simply not sure.

Bill

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online