Speakers Rarely But Sometimes Temporarily Conk Out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack1000

Guys,

I have some very old speakers from my Gateway system, which I purchased back in 1998 along with my first computer. For the most part, the speakers work great! Flash forward four computers later, and I would say maybe once every three to four months the sound will either drop for a while and may come back several seconds to minutes later. Sometimes a reboot fixes them, sometimes not.

I now have the speakers hooked up to a brand new Dell system with Windows 10. Just got the computer about three weeks ago. Sound from the same speakers went out just like it did with these speakers on two previous computers since the original Gateway. One running Windows XP, and the other running Windows 7.

Questions:

1.) What is most likely causing this issue? It happens so infrequently but it does happen.
2.) I set my speakers System Tray task bar to 60% and no higher, which reduces the frequency of this occurrence.
3.) Both speakers when this happen, it happens at the same time.
4.) If the speakers are so old, wouldn't the sound just die and not come back?
5.) My suspicion is a dirty wire or cable someplace associated with the speakers over the years and just having the plugs/contacts cleaned.

Thoughts?

Jack

Oddba11

Jim
Sounds like a fault within the speakers. Most computer speakers have their own internal amplifier, so it could be a fault within the internal amp or circuitry, or a dirty/faulty knob or switch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online