1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Speakers stopped showing up (HDMI) in Win10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spade64, Jan 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

My speakers won't show up in Windows 10 when plugged into my monitor over HDMI to my Nvidia graphics card. They were working last night before some updates were installed via Windows Update. Now they're not showing up at all, but Windows says the system hasn't been updated in over 10 days so it can't restore. I already tried reinstalling Nvidia and Realtek drivers. They work when plugged into the motherboard.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Brand and model of the monitor?

The few monitors that I've used with speakers, required an audio cable connection to the PC for the speakers to function. The monitors (that I used) didn't process audio from the HDMI input for the speakers.

3. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

Not sure if you read my post, but the monitor doesn't have speakers, the speakers are plugged into it via a headphone/aux port/cable, and the monitor has been getting audio from HDMI and putting it through to the aux port for years. Literally just installed some updates and restarted the computer and it stopped working. The monitor is an Asus VS239H-P though.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I did. I just haven't seen a monitor (except for what I've noted above) which had audio outputs so I wanted to look over the specs/manual.

In any case, ensure the default audio device is still set to that monitor/HDMI port.

5. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

Oh weird, all of my monitors have had audio outputs. It's not that it's not set to use that audio device (I switch audio devices all the time). It's that it doesn't show up in the list of audio devices at all.

6. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

Solved: unplugged my ethernet, restarted into safe mode, ran DDU, restarted into normal, ran Nvidia driver installer. Weird.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice