1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speakers won't play pc sound when plugged in to monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beatherton, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beatherton

beatherton Thread Starter

I'm trying to get my xbox and pc sound to play with through the speakers plugged into the monitor. It worked before I reformatted.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

You aren't giving us anything to work with. Please tell us the brand and model number of the monitor and describe exactly how the Xbox, PC, and speakers are connected to the monitor.

When you reformatted and reinstalled Windows on the computer, did you confirm that all of the correct drivers were installed? Can you get sound directly from the computer's analog audio outputs?

EDIT: Please tell us the exact brand and model number of the computer and the operating system that is installed on it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. beatherton

beatherton Thread Starter

It's an acer monitor. I don't know the model number, but G0235HZ is on the upper right. The computer is an HP on Windows 10. The computer has sound when I plug the speakers into the computer instead of the monitor.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Waiting for an answer.

By any chance is it an Acer GD235HZ?

HP makes lots of different models of computers. What is your exact model?

5. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    I can guess where the problem is: You didn't change the audio output.

Click the speaker icon on the task bar, you'll see a line of text above the volume bar, that's the audio output in use. Click it and select HDMI and you should be able to hear sound from the speakers plugged to your monitor.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The HDMI output would be my first guess as well.

In addition, monitors with speakers also often have an analog input (ie: 3.5mm jack stereo input). A cable connects to the computer audio output (green port = front left/right stereo output) and to the monitor audio input.

Although neither of these have anything to do with Xbox audio.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice