1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speakers work but Very Faint!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tayroo1018, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tayroo1018

Tayroo1018 Thread Starter

Hello. I have been researching this problem for a week now. I have tried all the basics - device manager, system restore, etc. BUT i am willing to walk thru it all again to make sure i am doing it all correctly. I recently relocated my dell desktop to another room - hookd everything back up and now no sound. now i will mention that i was also having a problem with my keyboard and mouse but they are now working. if you turn my speakers up ALL the way u can hear what u are supposed to be hearing but very faint.
    im pretty sure my sound card is on my motherboard. my speakers are not hooked up thru USB. My speakers seem fine. power lights ok. i dont hear system sounds either - i have tried the test for different wav files and dont hear any of those either.
    i hope i am giving what info is needed. of all the posting i have read this makes me think its my sound card..... but if the sound card is bad...would i still be geting SOME sound from my speakers?
    I will be so greatful for any help u all have. thanks in advance!!!! :p
    SYSTEM
    Model : Dell Dimension 2400
    Chassis Type : Space Saving
    Service Tag : FR99741
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Processor
    Number Of Processors : 1
    Type : Intel Pentium 4 2666 MHz
    Processors Bus Speed : 532 MHz

Motherboard
    Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corp.
    Model : 0C2425 Rev. A01
    CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 478 mPGA
    Chipset Vendor : Intel i845G Rev. A1
    Bios Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation
    Bios Version : A05

Graphics
    Model : Intel ONBOARD 82845G/GL/GV/GE
    ONBOARD Speed : Not Available
    Monitor : Plug and Play Monitor

Storage
    Hard Drive 1 : ST380011A
    Size : 76.29 GB

Memory
    Total RAM Installed : 256 MB
    Type : DDR DIMM PC2700
    Used RAM Slots: 1 of 2

Accessories
    USB Version : Not Available

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You might want to test the speakers and connecting cable by plugging them into another computer or the headphone jack of an iPod/MP3 Player/Walkman/ etc. That will at least help you confirm that the problem is in the sound controller card on the computer.

Does the sound card have a software mixer panel in addition to the basic volume control panel? It could be that a mixer setting for WAV inputs is set to a low level even though the main volume control is at maximum.

3. Tayroo1018

i will find a way to test the speakers in another jack...but i cant do that for a few hours.

as far as a mixer panel...i dont believe i have one. i use musicmatch for mp3s. windows media for videos... did i answer that at all?

also an extra note... i dont even hear my opening windows screen

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you moved the system, are you sure you have plugged the speaker leads into the correct jacks? Are you using a simple two speaker setup or something like a 5.1?

5. Tayroo1018

yes. everything is color coded. the speakers plug into the computer and into a woofer. the speaker plugs are also color coded. i'm really at a lost here!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If these are amplified speakers .. are they getting power ??

7. Tayroo1018

yes, u can hear them when i turn the power on and off (reminds me of a microphone being tapped to make sure its working)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just to make sure, this is onboard sound correct?

If it is onboard, the only real thing that could have happened when you moved the system is a jack on the board could have been damaged.

If it is in fact a real sound card, you can try removing the card and reinstalling/reseating. Sometimes a card will "Creep" out of it's slot; moving the system sometimes causes a little movement of the card.

9. Tayroo1018

i am pretty sure its onboard. there is soundmax under sound in device manager.
    if the jack was damaged would i still be able to get some sound?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Possibly; I would pull the side cover and give the jacks a close inspection with a bright light.

I suppose there IS the chance that the onboard sound just picked that time to die however I would put my money on a damaged jack [as long as you are sure they are connected correctly]

FWIW I fixed something just like this a few weeks ago. One of our FAs had her computer fixed at a local shop [new mb installed] When she got it back, she connected the speakers. No go. She takes it back and the sound works fine. She takes it home and it still does not work. After she emailed me a belarc report on the system, I saw she had both onboard sound and a creative SB. I asked which one she was connecting the speakers to. Well of course it was the wrong one. Connected to the correct jack and it worked.

11. Tayroo1018

how would i check sound settings in the BIOS? is that even an option

12. Tayroo1018

my speaker jacks are colored coded with computer....there a jack for mic and then there are two other jacks that are blue and ones green...neither specify..well the jacks are labeled with symbols i dont understand. one symbol faces left and the other jack symbol faces right.

as far as knowinf for sure its an onboard sound..how can i find out for sure?

13. Tayroo1018

also the sound that i am getting from my speakers are only coming from one speaker.. not both

(Possibly; I would pull the side cover and give the jacks a close inspection with a bright light.)
    -is there anything i should do first before i just go and open the tower? am i making all of this harder than it is??
    .... again i want to say thanks for the help :)

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Got a headset you can test the output with ??

15. Tayroo1018

well, no headset. but i took my 3pc speaker set and hooked up to my television headet jack and i got the same result....only faint sound when speakers are turned all the way up.
    so i take this as i fried my woofer? i say that becuase thats what the speakers plug into, and then from the woofer to the actual jack. i never thought i could mess up my speakers so easily. i just dont want to go and buy a new speaker set and end up with the same problem. any other suggestions? should that type of speakers work ok on a television?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice