1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speakers...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by root, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. root

root Thread Starter

Hi...Merry Christmas everyone.
    A friend of mine has developed a problem with his speakers not working. I made sure that he had them plugged in correctly, of course. In audio properties from the control panel, it said there were no audio devices in the computer. So, I checked the device manager. It showed PCI audio device, (no stated manufacturer)...It had a yellow question mark on it. So, did PCI input device. So, I figured somehow it might be a driver problem. But, he has no manual on the machine, can't find a restoration disk, and I don't know what manufacturer to go to for a driver. Is there a generic driver I can get from Microsoft, that might work. Any other ideas of things I can try to isolate this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. angel

angel

Can you crack her open and check the card for any telltale signs of a manufacturer? There should be an FCC ID number on it you can use to determine exactly what card it is.

3. root

root Thread Starter

well, angel....

He is a bit nervous about opening his unit. I was going to do that for him, but...I guess we will do that as a last resort. I am beginning to think perhaps his sound card was removed when he had a modem installed, but that is just a guess. I know that sometimes the sound card has the modem on it, but maybe in his case, it might be different. Like I said, just a guess. The card has inputs for speaker type plugin... So, if you or anyone else has more ideas, keep 'em coming. I told him that since it is saying there is no audio device in there... but then why would that card have inputs for speaker type wires...There are actually for inputs... thanks

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What's the little exclamation mark say the problem is?

Per chance is there something else trying to use the same IRQ?

5. root

root Thread Starter

It is a question mark, and it seems to indicate that there is no audio device.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice