1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speakers

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Erhetta, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Erhetta

Erhetta Thread Starter

I don't know what happened to my speakers.
    The little speaker in the bottom right hand corner is not showing up and I have no idea how to get my speakers working.
    as far as I know I do have a sound card and drivers....don't know how to enable the speakers or get the little thinging back.
    Can you help me out here.
    Erhetta

2. caelcormac

caelcormac

Which Operating System are you using?
    You should be able to go into the Control Panel in order to access the sound options. You can also go into Device Manger to make sure that the driver is working properly.

3. Erhetta

Erhetta Thread Starter

the system I'm having a problem with is running win98se.
    I have no idea exactly what I'm looking for in the control panel, or Device Manager.
    There isn't anything there that specifically say "sound device"
    Everyting in the Dev Manager properties for all the stuff listed there says everything is working properly..I just don't see sound device
    YIKES!

4. caelcormac

caelcormac

It's been awhile since I have used Win 98, try to do the following:

Control Panel, Multimedia, turn on the "Show volume control in task bar".

See if this brings back your volume control.

FYI, Your sound card in device manager is usually under Sound, video and game controllers.

Hope this helps.

5. Erhetta

Erhetta Thread Starter

Well I tried that and when I look there Everything audio is grayed out
    can't make any changes.
    I think that one day when I was uninstalling some programs I accidentally uninstalled a program called riptide.:eek:..I think that is the problem. I have no idea how to restore it or get it back....Can you help me with that?
    A very frustrated :confused:Erhetta

6. caelcormac

caelcormac

I'm not familiar with riptide, but a quick search only showed riptide as business solution software and shouldn’t have anything to do with the speakers. Any ideas of what riptide was?

Is your sound card integrated on the mother board or is it a third party sound card?

Try to do what this link suggests but make sure that you have the driver disc handy. If you don’t have the driver disc you need to find out what kind of sound card you have so that you can get the driver before trying to uninstall the driver.

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...8c0-88dd-e3f706501612&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1

The following tool can help you figure out what you have in your system:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4387.html

I’ve used it before and it will give you all the information on your system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice