1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speech recognition software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ia1980, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ia1980

ia1980 Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good 'speech recognition software', free and to buy.
    thanks
    IA1980

2. Cyps

Cyps

Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred. Long name but about the best available, couldn't recommend any free ones.

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best and the only one I know of....

I am pretty sure there aren't any free ones.

4. jdl

jdl

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

That looks pretty good, though it has banner ads.

6. Cyps

Cyps

Don't be mislead, even Dragon Speaking has it's critics. Speech recognition is a very difficult thing to perfect and has taken years to get to the standard Dragon achieves and at a price. It's a lot like that other chestnut OCR and here again only the best software will give you anywhere near satisfactory results, and if you cannot afford the best then it's better not to waste time or money on something inferior. Even if a program like this is free it's not worth the bother IMO, unless you want to turn into a head banger at lightening speed in the fast lane.

7. jdl

jdl

Cyps, I concur. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 9, lists for $199.99 on the Nuance site, but is available elsewhere on the net for about $147 and up. It is the best there is right now and they advertise (version nine preferred) up to 99% accuracy without any training.

If I needed voice recognition, that's the way I would go.

8. ia1980

ia1980 Thread Starter

my problem is my boss won't cough the money, so I have to buy it myself. Another thing, what do I need to get - special microphone? headpiece / earpiece

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

You're going to want a decent headset, I don't know of any good ones, though.

10. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I've used L&H in the past (now bankrupt/out of business) and now Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 9.....standard.
    There are several versions and the premium of course does more, but the engine is the same and the efficiency equivalent among them.

Wait for sales if you have the time.
    I paid $50 on sale (no rebate) at Best Buy, regular price $99.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need good audio (quality mic and a very noise free environment).

The day you go into a large corporate office and see voice recognition being used instead of keyboards, it's fair to say that the technology has matured to the point where its economical and useable.

I visit many corporate environments, none use it yet.

I think it's excellent for the keyboard impaired, but has a way to go yet. "Up to 99%" accuracy means at least one word in every 100 is going to be wrong, probably a lot more.

But they will be real words used instead (not spelling errors), so make sure that the output is proof read much more than the manually typed version or the entire context of the sentence could change?

12. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Very true about background noise.
    If it's consistent, it's not too bad, but the VR app needs to be trained in those conditions.
    Most background noises vary through out the day.

I seldom use VR on line, as poor as I type, it is an inconvenience for short prose.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice