1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speed and control panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by helpme181999, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpme181999

helpme181999 Thread Starter

1) lately noticing pc very slow. trying to type something takes forever whelther on internet or not.15min. goes by before see 1 letter on screen.
    2)also, i can open control panel and but i can't open anything inside. Things like "Add/remove programs", "Display" etc... things inside control panel will open when clicked on but close right away. can't get them to open and stay open.
    3)can't empty trash or cookies
    4) i have Mcafee virus scan , i try to scan for virus, but it stops in middle and kicks me off. Try to re-download, but that to stops and kicks me off.

could i have spyware or virus? or both/

should i reformat harddrive? and reinstall eveything? I'd rather not if i don't have to.

2. rude

rude

How long since you've defraged?

3. helpme181999

i defrag about 1x a week. i was doing cookies and trash everyday. know i can't .

4. helpme181999

i have windows xp

5. rude

rude

I've got a few things you can try:
    1)Control Panel-Start/Run Type: gpedit.msc

Navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates,highlight Control Panel
    on the right pane,right click on each of the 4 bottom choices select properties and set them all to Not Configured.
    Now click on the + in front of Control Panel and highlight Add/Remove Programs,on the right pane reset everything to Not Configured.

2)Just a thought,but have you thought about disabling startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!