Speed differences in LAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

umtomas

Hello, a couple of days ago I did some experimets in my LAN. I am using MacBook Pro 13" retina (wireless and USB-Ethernet 100Mbps adapter), small HP MicroServer G6 running Windows Server 2012 (1Gbps network adapter) and Mikrotik RB941-2nD hAP Lite 100Mbps router. The main purpose of my server is network-attached storage using SMB protocol. For some reason I'm getting very low transfer speeds for example:
- MacBook Wi-Fi -> Server in 100Mbps router port - 7,03 Mbps
- MacBook 100Mbps eth. adapter -> Server in 100Mbps router port - 17,74 Mbps
- MacBook 100Mbps eth. adapter -> Server ... both in 1Gbps switch - 28 Mbps

So at first, I don't understand why is Wi-Fi so slow, laptop is only half a meter away from router (Wi-Fi N standard), and second, how is that when both devices are in 1Gbps switch, connection is 10 Mbps faster than they are in 100 Mbps router - USB->Ethernet adapter for my MacBook is also 100 Mbps - why is 100 Mbps on adapter something different than 100 Mbps on router. Thanks for your answer in advance, I am getting crazy of this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online