1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onsite, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onsite

onsite Thread Starter

I have put speed fan into the registry so it will start with the pc
    HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\ then path to speedfan

the only problem is that the whole control panel for speed fan opens up. So is there a way to start it without the control panel or switches i can add to the end of the exe file ?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Make a shortcut to it, put in in

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.

In the "Run" field, select "start minimized".

Or just make your other "startup" a shortcut, and do the same.

3. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Yeah that will work, Nice job :)

4. junker39

junker39

In the Configure box of SpeedFan 4.15, the one I use, under the Options tab, is a box to check that says "Start Minimized". It may or may not be there in the newer versions. Good luck.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yup, it's there in 4.28.

While we are on the subject. I notice that when it runs minimized, the system tray icon will only show the hard drive temp, not the CPU -- anyone else confirm this?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When mine starts it shows whatever temp is selected to show under options>temp.

Rog is correct. Place the speedfan icon in the startup folder. Do not edit the registry to start speedfan.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you can configure what shows up in the system tray. Notice the checkbox on the config screen, lower right. :) When you mouse over it, it'll show all the temperatures. You can select any of the temperatures and have them be the one that shows up in the system tray.

Attached Files:

• sf.jpg
      sf.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Guys, the selected temps do appear when you mouse over them, but the tray default always seems to be the hard drive.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rog when you open config>temp you will see each temp. Select the one you want and the "show in tray" option then appears. Put the checkmark in it and you are good to go.
    See screenshot.

Attached Files:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's the way I have it, but as you can see the tray icon just shows the hd -- even if the hd is unchecked :rolleyes:

If I mouse over, then all checked items show.

Attached Files:

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe some bug with the dell board and speedfan. I notice your hd temp is the first one; that is a little strange. All of the systems I have installed speedfan on show either cpu or system / chipset temp as the first temp.

Other than that, I am out of ideas :confused:

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've tried it on an old non-Dell, no matter how you check the "show in tray" options only 1 temp will appear unless you mouse over. The "show in tray" check boxes don't seem to affect anything. :) :rolleyes:

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is strange because when I set it to start with windows on both my wife's system [asus a8v deluxe amd 3500] or my intel system, it goes right to cpu temp or whatever was checked in config.

One thing you might want to try is the 4.29 beta available for download. I understand that a lot of work has been done on sensors, etc.

I have not tried it, because 4.28 works fine. Ok 4.29 is no longer beta and is available for download to the general public. You might want to give it a try.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Which temp? The cpu or the hd?

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have SpeedFan on a number of systems, I've never had any trouble selecting the temperature that I want to appear in the system tray. :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice