1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed Issue over Network with one application

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brendab, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brendab

Brendab Thread Starter

An application we use to run reports runs very slowly. A couple of years ago I had this same problem and figured out it had to do with my hubs which were still running 10/100. I changed my hubs for HP gig switches, changed my ethernet cards in the pc's to gig cards. Everything worked great. Reports that took 30 minutes were now down to 2 minutes. Here is my problem I recently added an IP phone system and had to change my switches because the ones I had did not meet the specs for the phone system. I added gig Extreme switches with power over the switches which was needed for the new phone system. Since we did this the speed for reports has gone from 2 minutes to 10 minutes not as bad as it had been but still bad. Testing that has been done: I have run cat 5 cable from the workstation into the HP switch which had been running fine and left the phone on the Extreme switch which is needed for the phone to work. We tried running reports after hours when there was no traffic over the network. When this was done there were only 2 people in the office. Still took the 10 minutes or so. Please help.

2. O111111O

O111111O

To start with, CAT5 + GIGE = Not so much.

How many switches do you have in total? What is connected to what?

Need to find out what the root bridge is. Do you have managment access to the extreme switches?

3. Brendab

Brendab Thread Starter

I have 5 switches total. 3 are HP procurve and would run the reports fine. I still have my servers connected to these as well as workstations that do not require Power over ethernet and Quality of Service. Yes I do have access to the extreme switches. I also have a service call placed with Extreme but have had no success. What I have connected to these switches is all work stations that require an IP phone. I have also tried taking my desktop and putting it back on the HP switch to see if that would help with the speed.

4. O111111O

O111111O

Well, eliminate some of the obvious stuff first. Try not to change too many things at once and we'll see if you can solve this.

Try the following conditions/questions:

1] Do reports work fine from your workstation when connected to HP procurve switch AND the Extreme switches are disconnected?

2] Is the port on your servers and on the port connected to the procurve FORCED to 100MB Full Duplex? PHY negotation is horribly untrustworthy. If new switches were introduced and spanning tree was forced to re-calc, all of the switchports on your procurves could have bounced which could easily cause a speed/duplex mismatch.

5. Brendab

Brendab Thread Starter

1. Prior to adding the Extreme Switches yes reports printed fine.
    1a. I can't disconnect the Extreme switches right now because my phone system and most of my workstation is running on them.
    2. Not sure about this one I will need to do some checking with the guys who worked with me on setting up our new phone system.
    I do know that i have a gig network card in my pc and I tried to force the Extreme Switch port that I am plugged into to be at 1000mb and it bombed. The vendor is telling me that the switch should handle 1 gig.

Let me ask you if my phones can't handle 1 gig would that maybe control what my ports are coming in on? Could it be that my phone system can only handle 100mb and that is why everything may be running this way?

I am looking at my swithces when maybe I need to look at my phone system?

Just a thought I had. What is your thought?

6. O111111O

O111111O

What kind of phones? Chances are they won't do / don't need GIG. You can carry 24 simultanious G.711 codec calls over 1.5Mbits of bandwidth.....

If 1000MB isn't working, then check for FCS/CRC/RUNTs. Gig over copper requires CAT5e or CAT6 cable and ideally shorter distances.

Come in during the weekend, disconnect the extreme gear. Run your workstation on the HP Procurve and fire off the report. See if it's still fast. if it is, then connect the Extreme switch again, run report again.

You really need to see if there's another influence causing the report to be slow. Need to disco the extreme stuff first.

7. Brendab

Brendab Thread Starter

Thanks We will be running gig cable and split the workstation plug into the HP switch and leave the phone as is so they are on separate switches. If that doesn't work I will try your suggestion fo disconnected the extreme swithces on a weekend. Thanks again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice