1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joeho87, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

Hi

I have recently just got Virgin Media 10mb connection (wireless). Me and my friend share this connection, he has a mac i have a pc(laptop). It seems that my friend can get near enough full speed with downloads etc (tested on speedtest.net), my friend got nearly 10mb download speed, however I averaged at 6mb. Another example, my friend downloaded a file from a website, the speed went at about 1.5mb/s, I then downloaded the exact same file directly after his download had finished, my average download speed was 250kb/s.
    My wireless card is "intel(r) pro/wireless 3945abg", it is a 54mb/s card so it should be more than capable to get the full 10mb/s that is offered to me. Any help in how to 'de-restrict' my card to obtain the full speed?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

It should say what speed your wireless connection is at if you hover over the "network connected" icon in the bottom right-hand corner in the taskbar. I'd guess it's very unlikely this is causing the problem.

Are you the only person using your internet connection when you test these things?

3. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

If I hover over the wireless icon it says 54mbps. My friend was also connected at the same time so really we should get half and half with regards to the speed.

4. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

Anyone?

5. chrisxa

chrisxa

have u tried moving your pc? im not a pro on wireless but isnt it like a cellphone...bad reception = not full bar?

6. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

Yeah, the router is in the living room, which is where I set, it has full signal strength or "Excellent". I'm really stumped by this! help!

7. chrisxa

chrisxa

same problem even when your friend's computer is turned off?

8. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

yeah still get the 6meg download speed from the speed tester. and the same download speed from the file i tested it on. anyone got any ideas?

9. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

any help guys?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There may be no "help" for the issue.

I have a 15mbit connection here, and 802.11n routers. My HP laptop gets around 7mbits/sec with no other network traffic, but the Toshiba gets the full 15mbit running the same test. It may be simply the computer itself. Both of these computers are Core 2 Duo boxes with plenty of memory and speed, obviously something about the wireless cards and/or drivers.

11. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

Yeah I kinda knew it would be something to do with the card, but does anyone know how to adjust it to perform better? Like I said, its 54mbps so it should be able to achieve speeds of 10mbps

12. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

If it says in your taskbar you are connected at 54mbps then I doubt you can do anything to be honest

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My tests were also both connected at 54mbits, and sitting about 6 feet from the router. If updated wireless drivers don't help, other than possibly tweaking the TCP/IP parameters with something like the DSL Reports Tweak Tester to optimize the connection parameters, nothing else comes to mind.

14. joeho87

joeho87 Thread Starter

OK then, thanks for your help! I'll give it a go when I get home and post the results.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice