1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speed of your network connection to the modem/router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gotaro, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gotaro

Gotaro Thread Starter

Speed

We recently had Verizon HiSpeed (speeds up to 768 Kbps) installed with Westell(Model 327W) modem/router connected to our desktop.
    When we place cursor over the "Network" connection in lower right of screen (of desktoop) it states:
    The Internet (2)
    Spreed 10.0 Mbps
    Sent 141,926 bytes
    Received 921,712 bytes

However, in the laptop, when we place the cursor over the "Network" connection, we see:
    Speed 36Mbps
    Signal Strength Excellent
    Status Connected.

What we would like to know is why does our desktop show SPEED of "10.0 Mbps"

while the laptop shows:
    SPEED of "36.0 Mbps?"
    (Connection speed on both shows: download 705 kbps; upload 133 kbps.)

Is this something to be very worried/concerned about? We are senior citizens and the speed when we connect to Internet appears to be fine as far as we are concerned.
    Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nothing to be concerned about. The speed you're seeing is the speed of the local link, not of the Internet connection. They look perfectly normal.

3. Gotaro

Gotaro Thread Starter

Thank you.

We thought because the desktop (to which the modem/router is attached) showed a "SPEED" of "10"...

and the laptop (wireless) shows "SPEED" of "36," that there was something wrong.

We thought both should show the same.

(We have the Verizon HiSpeed of 768 Kbps installed, which is probably the lowest plan they offer. When we did the SpeakEasy test it showed .)740/133

4. JohnWill

The speed of 10mbit is the Ethernet connection. Most newer computers are connected at 100mbit, but since you didn't specify the make/model of the machine, I'm assuming it's probably one with an older NIC. 10mbit is a standard Ethernet connection speed, 10/100/1000 are normal for various wired connections.

5. Gotaro

Gotaro Thread Starter

Our desktop is Gateway Model 556GE and believe it was purchased in May 2005. The leaflet states: 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet.

(The Verizon plan we have only allows us to download up to 768 Kbps)

6. JohnWill

I can only assume that it's the other end that is limiting the connection, or perhaps just some configuration option on the NIC in the machine. However, getting it to connect at 100mbit won't change the Internet speed at all. If you shared files between the machines, it would make a difference.

If it's all working well for you, I think I'd leave it alone. :D

7. Gotaro

Gotaro Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.
    I think we solved problem. When I looked in Network Connections, I see:

Dial-Up
    The Internet (2) Dial Up Connected WAN Miniport
    ===
    LAN or Hi Speed
    Local Area Connection LAN or HiSpeed Internet Connected LAN/HiSpeed Intel 100
    ===
    My wife (I'll blame her because I don't remember doing it) checked the Dial-Up Properties box to show icon. That is the one that was showing "10 Speed."
    I unchecked that and opened the LAN or HiSpeed Properties box and checked the "show icon." Now when I click on the Network icon in lower right or screen, I see:
    Local Area Connection
    Speed 100.0 Mbps
    Status Connected.

Thanks again.

(Our laptop (wireless) shows the following when we place cursor over Network icon in lower right of screen:
    Speed 48 Mbps
    Signal Strength Excellent
    Status Connected.
    Think that is about 'par' for wireless.)

8. JohnWill

Wireless speeds can range from the 20's to 50, depending on a lot of factors. Distance from the station, wireless interference, obstructions present, etc. That sounds fine to me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice