1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed test results vs ISP advertised speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by walkemskies, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walkemskies

walkemskies Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's the closest I could find.
    I have Qwest Broadband DSL at 5mb, which is the fastest speed offered in my area.
    I ran some speed tests online, and most results are at about 1800kbps download and 600kbps upload.
    Is that normal? I don't even know what 5mbps is in terms of kbps.
    Also, the ping seems pretty high at around 100.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Specs
    Actiontec 54mbps wireless DSL Gateway
    Model GT704WG

HP Desktop running XP Pro (connected to gateway via ethernet)
    IBM/Lenovo Laptop running XP Home (connected to home wireless network)

ISP
    Qwest
    MSN/Windows Live or whatever

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    5 Mbps is 5000 Kbps. If you are near the maximum distance from the CO or whatever "repeater" station Qwest may have you my be stuck with that poor result. Otherwise, there could be a problem with their line or with your wiring.

3. Gnomad

Gnomad

4. walkemskies

Thanks guys.. I'll call Qwest and see if I can find out how far I am from the station or whatever..
    If not I'll check the wiring too, if I could.
    I'll try the program too. I set it to 5000, right? Or 2000 as the results show?

5. Gnomad

Gnomad

You would set the slide bar to 5000, your advertised Internet speed. Then click on the Optimal settings radio button on the bottom left. It will back up your settings and then apply the new settings. My internet connection is advertised at 6 mbps, before I run the Optimizer I will get around 2 mbps, after the Optimizer I routinely get around 6 mbps.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since both Vista and XP automatically set the parameters for MTU, Receive Window, and so on, based on the network response, changing those settings manually is probably unwise, likely to make your system even slower, and possibly will not "stick", anyway.

7. walkemskies

Ok, I ran the optimizer at 5000 optimal with no luck. Results remain at around 2000, sometimes going down to 1500. Does that mean I've been getting 1.5mb service instead of 5? Can I do anything about it?
    Thanks again.

8. walkemskies

Luckily that didn't happen..

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

reboot your modem and or router by unplugging for a couple minutes
    plug in modem then router then boot pc back up then test here
    http://www.speedtest.net/

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Your Modem/Router probably also has a stats page you could access that looks something like this

11. walkemskies

I doubt that would do anything.. plus I asked several people who have the same package/service as me around Seattle and they all have similar results from http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

It probably does, I just can't find it haha
    But I DO know that the fastest stable download speed I've ever gotten was around 360KB/s.. it sometimes jumps up to 500 for half a second.

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Speedtest.net uses SpeakEasy as the nearest server for me over here on the Eastside.

and KB is different than kb. Bytes vs bits, or a factor of 8.

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Then dont reboot them.But you will be amazed how often that works

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice