1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed tweaks for dial-ups

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gun_for_Hire, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gun_for_Hire

Gun_for_Hire Thread Starter

I am looking for any information/freeware for increasing my dial-up connection speed. I have a 56k modem with v.92 but my connection speed is only 45.2 bps. I am running XP home and would appreciate any tips.

2. Rockn

Rockn

NO such thing, if anyone tells you there is such a thing they are pulling your jug. The connection speed you are currently getting is because of the equipment at your ISP, your phone line, noise on the line, etc. In a perfect circuit with the exact same equipment on both ends you might get your modems advertised full speed.

3. Gun_for_Hire

Rockin,
    Thank you for the information I was hoping since where I live deep in the woods has yet to see cable or dsl, and sat feed is just too expensive. Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's nothing that will increase your connection speed, but sometimes there are TCP/IP settings that can increase your apparent speed. The most significant one is MTU size, which almost all Internet speed tweakers normally play with. Here's a page on improving dial-up networking performance, might be able to give you some improvement in throughput. Improving Dial-Up Networking Performance

5. Rockn

Rockn

And occaisionally messing with the MTU settings will actually make your connection slower. If you are running 98SE or better tweaking the MTU won't do you any good since the Winsock on these is far better at managing these then you ever could. It might be worth a try if your OS is Win98 or less.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, he won't know what effect it might have without trying it, isn't that true? :rolleyes:

7. Gun_for_Hire

I checked out the Mtu and found that I am as efficient as I can be way out here in the woods. thank you for you input.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice