1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joniuk, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

I have a PC and a Laptop hooked up to a wireless access point.

The Pc is Wired up to the access point and the Laptop is wireless.

the Access Point is a D-Link DWL 2000+ AP and the Card on the Laptop is a D-Link AirPlus G+ wich it states can achive up to 108mbps with a compatable D-Link access point.

The Speed of achiving 108 is not what im worried about, the speed between the laptop and PC at the moment is what im worried about. I can only achive 2mbps out of it, when the Tx rates are on 54mbps!

I tried updating the Firmware on the Ap and new drivers for the wireless card but still no luck!

Any ideas?

Thanks John .k

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wi-Fi can be pretty touchy, as I proved to myself over the last few days while getting my service back to "perfect" (I think).

The laptop card is a PCMCIA card, right? If not, I'll have another comment or two. In the meantime here are some questions/things to try.

Have you tried both with and without the speedboost to 108 (on both router and laptop)?

Do you see any kind of "meter" which shows your connection staying at 54mbps? I ask because for a month mine would start at 54, drop to 24, up to 36, down down down to 1 or 2, back up, back down, etc.

Are there any other competing signals on the same or close channels?

You are using either Windows' or D-Link's utility; have you tried the other one?

3. joniuk

joniuk Thread Starter

Im using D-Links utility, there is another wireless ntwork in the area on channel 11, and im on channel 2.

4. DBClark

DBClark

I would try more channels.

I'm not familiar with D-Link's utility, but I know Windows Utililty proved to be much better than Linksys utility.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice