Speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KLH

Hi can any one tell me the best way to speed my computor up as it is giting slower ever time i log on the net.
Someone said do a derfag but i dont know what this is or how to do it can any one help pleae thanks in advance.

To run the defrag..

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defrag...

Once the program loads click Defrag. Then sit back and wait. Better yet make a sandwich and watch a movie on TV. If you've never run one before it might take a while.

Chances are this will not help with internet slowness though.

KLH

Hi DerekC
Thanks for that i did that and then restarted the system and it has brought me up to my standard speed that i would normaly get. I had more than anough time to watch a movie it took 12hours thanks.

There are also several free third party defraggers out there that are way faster than the Windows variety.
Auslogics
IOBit
DeFraggler
Ultimate Defrag (my favorite)
Tip is to find one you like and use it exclusively. All have their own way of sorting, so what is OK for one is a major frag job for another.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
KLH:

Answer these questions:

1. What's the processor type and speed?

2. How much RAM is installed?

3. How large is the hard drive and how much free space is there?

4. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Windows Task Manager, then click "Processes"(tab). How many processes are running?

5. Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup"(tab). How many entries have a checkmark?

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Ignore the advice in post #6. (n)

KLH

Hi i have done No 4 there are 32 processes running, No 5 there are 3 entries with checkmarks, not sure how to find out the other bits you ask as i am a novise to this sort of thing thanks for replying.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

The processor type and speed and the amount of RAM will be listed in the General tab.

Double-click MY COMPUTER, right-click the C drive icon, then click Properties.

A pie chart will appear, along with the hard drive size and amount of free and used space.

KLH

Hi thanks for that i have followed your instructions.I have got AMD Sempron (tm)2600+
1.84GHz,480 mb of ram.Used space 23.8gb,Free space 13.2gb.
Thanks for your help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your computer has a low-end AMD Sempron 1.84 GHz processor and has 512 MB of RAM.

It's showing 480 MB because the on-board graphics controller has 32 MB dedicated to its use. 480 + 32 = 512

I would suggest adding another 512 MB to increase the overall amount to 1024 MB.

Can you advise what the brand name, model name, and model number of your computer is so we can determine how much RAM it supports and what type module it uses?

------------------------------------------------------------

Go here and click the green icon to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.41.

Close all open windows and then install it. Make sure to run its update function to get the latest definition files installed.

Just download and install and update it. Don't do anything else with it yet.

Go here and click the green icon to download HijackThis 2.0.2.

Close all open windows and then install it. Allow it to install in its default location: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.

After it's installed, run a scan with it - which will take 30 seconds or less.

Save the resulting log in Notepad.

Return here and then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

Hi,

I always to speed up computer by using a regsitry cleaner program. This not only helps you speed up your PC but also makes errors appear less.you can improve the performance of your computer. The Disk Cleanup tool helps you free up space on your hard disk.Remove temporary Internet files,Empty the Recycle Bin,Remove Windows temporary files,Remove optional Windows components that you don't use,Remove installed programs that you no longer use.Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when the file is opened to piece it back together. The response time can be significantly longer.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
KLH:

I'm still waiting for your reply to post #11 and for a HijackThis log.

I'm at a stand-still with helping you until you do.

KLH

Hi i have had to log on to the site from a friends system as i can not open mine up i started to do as you mentioned and it has frozen out i have turned it of and left it for a while then i will try again i didnt wont you to think i had forgotten you will keep you up to date as soon as i can thanks

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
KLH:

When you get your computer started again, do the following before you do anything else with it:

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Windows Task Manager, then click Processes(tab).

How many running processes are listed?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - Startup(tab).

How many entries have a checkmark?

(Click "Cancel" after you've make the count so your computer doesn't prompt you to restart.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online