1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speedfan crashes system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcguy9441, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Speedfan 4.40 is crashing my system. I have used this rev and earlier ones for some years on my 2.8GHz Northwood with zero problems, but on my new E6700 Core 2 Duo 4G PC3-10600/1333MHz XP Pro system, it brings the system down very hard. Mobo is Gbyte G41MT-E2SL.

The monitor goes black and even the reset button won't reboot nor will the start button shut down the system when held down for several seconds. I have to kill the power at the power supply then it restarts and runs normally. What gives? I'm pretty sure it worked initially (but could be wrong). I was overclocking a little (still am) with the clock at only 300Meg and CAS tweaked from 9 to 6, but even after setting the BIOS back to all factory defaults it still crashes. ???

I don't see anyone complaining of crashes on the forum.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well, I can kind of offer you a solution but it would meen downloading CPUZ HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Scroll down the page and it will have links to the downloads. Also this program seems to be a lot more responsive than speedfan when I have used it at the same time as Prime95. It also seems to give better readings. Speedfan is good but this one just about beats it.

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have HWmonitor, just not installed at present. I quit using it some months ago as some readings did not match my mobo h/w monitor util. Most did but the 12V value was consistently way low. I put a meter on it and confirmed that HWmonitor was wrong. ??? I'll give it another shot. What I like about Speedfan is the ability to have the cpu temp displayed in the bottom tool bar. Is there a trick to get HWmonitor to do this that I missed?

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

As far as I can see there isn't a way of getting it in the bottem right. I have looked at the options and there doesnt seem to be a way. :(

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

YOu can do it on the extended version but that one costs $20

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, thanks. It seems or later, everyone has their hand in your pocket. Still wondering if anyone else has had Speedfan crash on them. Seems like a video thing maybe as the first thing that happens on execution is the screen blinks, goes to horizontal lines then all black in about 2 sec. I'm using the onboard video on my Gbyte G41MT-ES2L.

7. KingZeus

KingZeus

funny i use the same thin on my old ibm thinkpad no problem here

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice