1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

speeding up a computer's hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i understand there is a way to speed up a hard drive.

how do you do such. presently mine is 633

2. Dan O

Dan O

Not really, but you can run Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk and Defrag that help. Running ScanDisk often will place most often used files at the begin of the drive, which helps also.

3. TechChick

TechChick

What makes you think your hard drive has a speed of 633? I haven't heard of that number being used in reference to hard drive speed before. That sounds more like a processor speed.

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

sorry,i meant speeding up a processor speed not hard drive

5. TechChick

TechChick

The only way to change the physical speed of the processor is to replace it with a faster one. You can probably get your computer to appear to run faster if you follow Dan O's advice.

6. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i read in smart computing magazine,there's a way of making an adjustment, a setting or something,and the processor's speed will increase about 100 but at the cost of xtra wear and tear of the hard drive.

read it last summer,i'll try to find the mag. and answer my own q. and post it here.

thanks

7. stnwerks

stnwerks

8. TechChick

TechChick

I think you're confusing the hard drive and the processor again. Are you referring to overclocking? It's possible with some processors and motherboards but not all. If it's not done correctly, you could damage the processor and motherboard, and you would have to buy new ones. If you get it to work, you will decrease the life of the processor, and it will run hotter, so you would probably need to buy more fans for your computer. Some other folks here can provide you with more information.

9. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks dan,techchick,steve,dan for ur responses.

yes,i recall its overclocking and as i recall the article there was a possibility of damaging the computer.

i might try it on an old,out dated computer to see what happens and get an"education".

10. Dan O

Dan O

Gamers do it all the time but it does as TechChick stated, plus makes your PC very unstable. I have an older 450Mhz PC and installed XP WOW what an improvement it made. It boots in 10-20 seconds and starts applications very quickly, you may want to consider it.

11. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

yea, i'm going to try overclocking my,ahmm....,166mhz computer. right now it seems like it takes about 4 years to boot up.

anyways,if you read about a large mushroom cloud rising up over a small northern new england town tonight,you know my computer didnt respond to the overclocking of its processer.

thanks for responses

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!