1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speeding up dialup connection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nopeeking, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nopeeking

nopeeking Thread Starter

Please....anyone...tell me if there is ANYTHING I might try to speed up my dialup connection. Nothing else is available to me at this time. I'd appreciate and helpful hints.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What is your connect speed presently?
    What download speeds do you normally reach?

3. nopeeking

nopeeking Thread Starter

My connection speed is 26.4 kbps. (Don't laugh.)

And how would I go about determining what my download speed is?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need to determine if the low connect speed is caused by the state of the phone lines, the technology used in the phone system (such as "pair gaining"), the modem in your PC or the driver for the modem.

We should start by finding out what modem you have installed.
    What can you tell us about the computer? What age, speed, version of Windows?

5. nopeeking

nopeeking Thread Starter

Oh, it's the state of the phone lines alright. We're out in the boonies. At this point in time, high speed is available to a rural school about 15 min. drive from here. But that's a school, and I doubt we'll ever have the technology to supply all the rural residences around here.

All this being said, I'm not sure if you still need the following info:

The modem in device manager shows as AOpen FM56-SVV Soft PCI Modem. Driver date is 6/4/2002. Is this helpful?

I'm running XP Pro. I don't know the age of the computer. I bought it used a couple years ago. Is there somewhere in the bowels of the computer that will tell me its age? And where do I find the speed? 40 g seems to ring a bell. ;)

Anything else you need to know? I appreciate your help.

6. 911

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you have poor quality "rural" phone lines then there is not much that can be done.

In NZ we have a "rural modem" available that makes the best use of what is available, and tends to overcome some issues such as disconnection due to line noise etc, but they are expensive and generally only fix connection issues.

Remember though that connect speeds are not always indicative of download speeds, modems can "retrain" up or down subsequently. A fast connect speed that has to resend many data packets due to error can be slower than one that connects slower but is error free.

Generally speaking, external RS232 Serial Hardware modems can sometimes perform better or more reliably than internal PCI modems such as yours but they are dearer.

8. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

nopeeking,

I have the same situation that you have. Old copper phone lines in the boon docks. I also only get 26,400bps.

One way to get the best out of your connection speed is to make sure that there is no unwanted programs such as adware/spyware running in the background, communicating with ad servers, using up much of your bandwidth.

Another way to make the most of your connection is to use your hosts file to block some ad servers.

A flash killer to stop flash ads on web pages can help speed things up.

This registry tweak helped speed things up for me considerably. I set my registry values at 6 and 6. An easy way to apply this tweak is to use a program called CableNut. Links to download this program along with many other useful tips can be found on this page, which is but one page of Frank's Windows 95/98/ME Tips.

I have found that Firefox renders web pages faster for me than IE, with the added benefit of being more secure and immune to many types of drive by spyware installs.

BTW, even though I think I have tweaked my system to the max to make best use of the phone lines I have, I still only get download speeds of no more than 3.0kb/sec.

Hope this helps. :)

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

Don't worry, I won't. Mine is 24 kbps :(

Unfortunately my situation is beyond hope. Tweaks and modem changes did little. If you haven't tried any tweaks, they may help. (No promises)

A good free utility I've used before is CableNut As mentioned, didn't help me, but may help you.

You can get your speed tested at broadband » Speed tests
    or
    PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics and Tuneups

broadband » Dialup FAQ

56K.COM: Analog, Cable, DSL, Wireless, ISDN and Satellite

10. dugq

dugq

Sometimes when you have a very slow connection, reducing the modem to v34 can speed up the connection (don't ask me why)
    In control panel, go to Phone and modems, then modems, then properties and advanced, then in extra setting type in

at+ms=v34

You could also use Proxomitron (http://www.sankey.ws/proxomitron.html)
    Its an internal proxy and can be used to filter out all kinds of things such as java, flash, ads etc which slow down how a page loads

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That can be very true, for the reasons in my post. A fast connection with lots of errors becomes slower than a lower speed connection with less errors.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice