Speedstream 5360 and linksys wireless router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thadd677

To my surprise, this has been giving me trouble. The Speedstream 5360 ADSL modem will not "recognize" the linksys wireless router (WRT54G v2). I plug it into the uplink port and it acts as if I didn't plug it in at all. I tried to look this up and one common problem is that I should be using a cross over cable from the modem to router and not just a regular ethernet cable. Another issue is that the Speedstream only supports 10mbps and will not operate @ 100. I know the linksys router is 10/100 auto but I don't see an option in the router settings to specify 10 instead of auto. Should I contact linksys about this problem?

thadd677

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

thadd677

Although this made sense it did not work. There is a "enet" light on the modem that does not go on at all when I plug the ethernet cable into the uplink of the router. When unplug it from the router and plug it directly into the computer, the enet light comes on even before I connect via the PPPoE on the computer. So this light should be coming on no matter what but its not. So the modem is acting like its not even "plugged" into anything. Any ideas?

BTW, when I tried to connect through the PPPoE in the router settings it was giving me the following error, "Cannot get IP from PPPoE server"

If I just wanted to ditch the wireless router, could I get a switch and hook it up to the speedstream? I don't know if it has a built in router of some sort.

thadd677,

I have the speedstream 4100 and I compared the install guide on mine and on your 5360. The instructions are exactly the same, either using a crossover cable to a hub or patch to uplink port.

Here is a link to install guides: http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&r=0.6383325

If I just wanted to ditch the wireless router, could I get a switch and hook it up to the speedstream? I don't know if it has a built in router of some sort.

I guess you could ditch the router...but of course you'd be ditching the wireless function also.

I will look around some more...and perhaps someone out there might suggestions.

5360 and 4100 quit similar. 5360 is a layer 2 bridge and can only operate in bridge mode for a PPPoE connection. Try upgrading the firmware on the linksys and maybe you will have the option to lock the WAN port to 10mbps when I worked for dlink we had the same issue.

thadd677

Ok I'll look that over. I'm also going to get my hands on another router to try and also a switch to see what happens. I just thought it was strange how the "enet" light wouldn't come on when I connected it to the router. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts