1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Speedtest fine, browsing speed not so fine.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Barol, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barol

Barol Thread Starter

(n) Ok, We just updated our modem from a Motorola SBG900 to a SBG6580.

Speedtests are substantially better.

We have 2 laptops, 2 desktops, 2 Xboxs, and a PS3 all running on the network. All of them are running amazing...except for (of course) my desktop.

I can run speedtest on my desktop and get around 12Mb, but when I try to browse the internet, websites take stoopid long to load and sometimes won't even load. But to make things even more strange, when I stream a video from youtube or something, it will take years for the video to start streaming, but once it does, it flies.

Talked to Motorola and all they could say, is if you have an internet connection, its fine. :confused:

No settings were changed at all from the time we turned off the old modem to the time we activated the new one.

Virus scan checks out. Tried on both Wireless and Wired. All drivers updated. Was about to format my computer but I lost my damn Win7 install disc. >< Please Save Me. :(

2. zephyr009009

zephyr009009

have you tried checking the browsing speed on safe mode with networking?

press the F8 key when the computer boot
    choose safe mode with networking
    then try if you still have issue browsing in this configuration of your pc

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    restart your browser to original settings. Since you did not specify the Windows OS and browser in this thread, I will go by the one next to your name (windows 7) and using Internet Explorer.

Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options. Click on the Advanced Tab. Make sure you do not have any browser windows open when you click on Reset.

Click on Restore Advanced Settings (you may find it doesn't do anything. This is normal.) and then click on Reset. Click on the checkbox that says Delete Personal Settings (as in check it) and then click on Reset. NOTE By doing this will possibly remove any passwords saved and disables add-ons/toolbars, as well as favorites.

Once it's done, click Close and restart your browser. See if that helps.

4. Barol

Barol Thread Starter

O yah sorry. Win7 x64 and I primarily use google chrome but ill use IE for this stuff (even though they are both slow, including firefox.

Safemode with networking - still slow

Reset advanced settings and such - stiill slow

Like I said, I didn't change any settings when I made the modem switch, and browsing speeds were perfectly fine before. So that's why im at a loss here. :(

5. zephyr009009

zephyr009009

can you please specify the set-up of your home network? what are the devices that are present in your premise?

6. Barol

Barol Thread Starter

I listed all of the devices and the modem in the OP, ummm if you're talking about my network adapter it's a Realtek 8185 Extensible Wireless Device

7. zephyr009009

zephyr009009

what is the os of the computer and what is the driver date in your realtek 8185?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice