1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spell check on outlook express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by k redmond, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

When I try to spell check my out going email on Outlook Express I get an error message that says spelling is haulted do you wish to send anyway. I always say ok so my mail will send but it is not spell checked. This feature worked until two days ago when I replaced my printer. My fuse net support told me to reinstall my microsoft works software. I did that but there was no change.

2. Ratboy

Ratboy

3. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

Rat Boy,
    I can't find anything about the registry or regdt thing. Can you tell me where I would find it. I used the find in files and folders on my c drive with no luck. Thanks

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

k redmond
    Welcome to TSG!
    The registry entries suggested in the article are accessed through the registry editor command named regedit and is run from the command line.
    Before we get to that lets do a little research to make sure you have the proper files needed to do the registry repair and this will also tell us where they are located.
    Go to start\find and type in MSSP232.DLL and enter. This file if on your system should be located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof folder.

Do another find on mssp2_en.lex and it should also be located there.

Now if both these above files are in their proper place then you will have to go into the registry to make the proper settings.

If they are not there then uninstall and reinstall works making sure word is part of the install.

REGISTRY WORK:
    Backup the registry first!
    1) Go to start\run and type in regedit, hit enter.
    2) Click the registry tab up top and select export.
    3) Select path to your Desktop
    4) Name file 911backup
    5) Select the all button at the bottom
    6) Click OK.

Now lets get to the registry changes
    In the left pane you see several major keys with plus signs in front of them. Use the plus sign to navigate down to where we have to go. Click the plus sign on the first item listed like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then look down under that to find software, clicks its plus sign and so on. Once you have arrived at the folder marked normal just click on that folder.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Microsoft
    Shared Tools
    Proofing Tools
    Spelling
    Normal

Now that you have clicked on the normal folder items should appear in the right hand pane. The first item we are looking for is called "engine" that is what is called a DWord. Next to the DWord is what is called a value, that value should read:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\MSSP232.DLL"

There should also be a DWord with the name of "Dictionary" and its value should be:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\mssp2_en.lex"

If both these are not there or have the wrong path then we will have to add them or change them.

If they are not there the go up top and click edit then new, select DWord and type in the name engine into area that will appear to the left and is highlighted.
    Now with the new DWord highlighted Click edit again and click modify. Now add the C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\Proof\Mssp232.dll and click ok.

One done one to go.

Go up top again and click edit then new, select DWord and type in the name dictionary into area that will appear to the right and is highlighted.
    Now with the new DWord highlighted Click edit again and click modify. Now add the C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\Proof\mssp2_en.lex and click ok.

If DWords engine and dictionary are already there then highlight one at a time and use the edit, modify function to input the correct path for each. Path being the C:\program files ect.

After registry work is done click the registry tab up top and click exit.

Now try you spell checker! Should work!

Note: if something goes wrong and you mess things up in the registry just go back to desktop and double click on the 911backup.reg file you created and say ok to the merge. That will put the registry back to where it was.
    If all goes OK the just delete the 911backup.reg file on desktop.

Hope that helps you a little.

Keep us posted as to your progress.
    Dave

5. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

Rat Boy and Davy 7549 have been trying to help me to get me Outlook Express Spell Check to work. I have found the registry and followed their instructions and backed up the registry before I tried to fix it. I got all the way to the section entitled normal. Under Normal I have a file folder that says Clients. There is no plus sign but I double left clicked to open. On the Right panel I have
    Name and Data headings under those is:
    ab in a box followed by (Default) ""
    ab in a box followed by C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof\MSSP232.DLL 0x00000000c(12)

The words Engine or Dictionary do not appear anywhere.
    I tried left clicking on Edit, New, DWORD value. I got :
    OHHO in a box and the words New Value #1. I typed in engine and hit enter then click edit, modify. The word engine was in the value name and a 0 in value data. When I tried to type in the C:\ pathway it will only let me type the letters (abcde or f) so I couldn't put in the value I needed. There is also a choice between Hexadecimal or Decimal. The dot is by hexadecimal.
    I deleted what I did so I'm still stuck in the same place. Please advise me what to do next. Thanks
    :confused:

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

k redmond
    I know how confusing the registry can be let alone the instructions and new terminology.
    The nearest I can tel you managed to get within spitting distance of where you had to be. The folder you you need to click on and open is the "normal folder".
    I attached an Image to show you what mine looks like so you will have some idea what yours should.

Keep with it you will be OK and get through it.
    Dave

Attached Files:

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

I thought I would post this personal experience...
    When My OE spell checker would not work even after installing MS Works Bryan pointed me to the link that Ratboy posted...after a bit of digging it turned out that this file ( Csapi3t1.dll ) was not put where it was supposed to be... It belongs in the proof folder here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\proof once I installed that file in that location the spell checker worked fine. Might want to take a peek for the heck of it.

just my experience

buck

8. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

I'm back! Davey 7549 I found the right place. I shouldn't have opened that clients part. I found everything in the normal. I don't know what the clients thing is but I was one step too far. When I opened the normal. I found the engine and dictionary and it looks just like yours. All the pathways are how they should be. I got another reply from buck 52 and he told me about at file Csapi3t1.dll. I looked for it like you told me to look for mssp files and the search turned up nothing. Is that possibly my problem I have some how deleted that file when I was loading my new printer/fax/scanner? If so how can I get it back? It is probably important for something else in my system. As you can tell I know very little about what I am doing. Thanks for you patience with the novice. :confused:

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

k redmond
    Buck and Bryan are on the money if the Csapi3t1.dll is not there
    in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\proof folder or it is roaming around somewhere else.
    You did the start\search-find and put Csapi3t1.dll in the files and folders box correct? And nothing was found?
    If not we will have to figure out how to get you a copy on your system.
    Will do some research and get right back to you. If it comes to worse I can always E-mail you a copy.
    Dave

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

k redmond
    If the dll is missing from your system you can download a copy of it from here if you are running Win98se or winme. Which OS are you running?
    http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html
    Once there click DLL's in upper left and click begin search on next page, then type in Csapi3t1.dll in search area.
    After download of dll copy it and paste it into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\proof folder.
    Dave

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

Dave and k redmond

it's the same file for XP OE6 as well...that's actually the one I had trouble with

I can probably put a copy of it on my personal page if need be

buck

12. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

I have just one little problem with the new instructions I only wish I had windows98 or winme. I have the windows 95 version so is the instructions the same? Thanks
    :eek:

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

k redmond
    At this point, if the file is gone altogether it would not hurt downloading the 98SE version and trying it.

Let us know how it goes!
    Dave

14. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

The downloading of 98 sounds good but once again being the novice I am I don't have a clue how to do that. Can you tell me where I will find it and how to go about downloading it.
    Thanks for your prompt answers.
    :confused:

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

Here is from the prior post.......

k redmond
    If the dll is missing from your system you can download a copy of it from here if you are running Win98se or winme. Which OS are you running?
    http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html
    Once there click DLL's in upper left and click begin search on next page, then type in Csapi3t1.dll in search area.
    After download of dll copy it and paste it into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\proof folder.
    Dave

Added note: When you download the dll, direct the download to your desktop. After download is complete, go to desktop and copy the dll and the use windows explorer to navigate to the proof folder as shown above and paste it in there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice