1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spelling check nightmare

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by remance, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remance

remance Thread Starter

My details are:
    Windows 98 operating system. Installed Office 97 professional edition over Office 95 professional
    My problem is:
    My spelling checker no longer works. Instead I get a message:
    The spelling check is complete. Text set to (no proofing) was skipped. To find (no proofing) text click Edit/Replace click More, click Language, click Format and choose (no proofing).

On following as best I could the above cryptic instructions, I found to my horror that parts of my document had been deleted. I have tried to activate the spelling check through Spelling & Grammar tab on Tools Options but without any success. I have looked at the custom dictionary. It is the same as the one I have used for years without trouble when I was running the predecessor to MS Word 97 SR-1. If I try to edit the Custom.Dic I get a message to set the Automatic Spell Checking check box in Tools Options - but there is no such box.
    If nobody can solve this problem, will the followinf work?I have two hard discs C and D. If all else fails, is it safe for me to reinstall the Office 95 version of Word on the D disk. I have Office 98 on the C disk (where I put all my programs).

2. punjabian263

punjabian263

don't install new copy on disk d.
    first uninstall previous copy of office.
    since you have
    , so I think there is something out of order , install new copy after cleaning your system from previous installations.

3. remance

remance Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice but if I uninstall Office 97 surely I will lose all my data files?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No.

Data files are data files, not system or program files.

It would be a sorry day that programmers made that mistake and allowed a program uninstall to remove data created by the program. Microsoft may have their faults, but thats not one of them.

But your data should be backed up anyway, if you value it. Hard disks fail, quite often.

5. remance

remance Thread Starter

Yeah thanks for that. But uninstalling is really my Plan B. I can't see why the later Office can't spellcheck as well as (if not better than) its predecessor!

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Of course it can spellcheck. But not if the installation failed somehow.

Try a "Detect and Repair" operation?

(Word - Help - Detect and Repair)

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

8. remance

remance Thread Starter

Look I'm no computer genius, but WD7 Help returns a blank screen to "detect and repair" and also to "repair". The "detect" hits are UNhelpful. Uninstalling and reinstalling Office 97 using add/remove has not made any difference. Is there some remnant of Office likely to be still on my C disk (where I keep program files; datat files on D disk) that add/remove cannot access? If so, how do I eradicate these files please?

9. punjabian263

punjabian263

you can store files any where in your system, to eradicate your files just right click on file and select delete, or select the file and press the delete button on your keyboard.

10. punjabian263

punjabian263

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/286669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice