1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spider

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bboop, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bboop

bboop Thread Starter

Hi, I 've heard a lot about this spider. Has anybody used it that's running ie6, w/win98se

2. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, bboop

I tryed it good prog if you need to find more freeware

try this site go to Software page2

@ http://spyBware.bravepages.com

Good Luck

3. john1

john1

Hi bboop,

here is what Mr van Wanrooij has to say about it.
    he put it together and released it.
    He doesnt mention IE6 though.

Spider by Ward van Wanrooij

Disclaimer

Subject: Hidden files which record user-activity.
    Software concerned: Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0X for Windows 95 and Windows NT, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0X for Windows 9X and possibly Windows NT, as a result hereof also Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.0 and greater, Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (all SP). It is also reported to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0ß.
    Author: Ward van Wanrooij - [email protected]

URL: http://www.fsm.nl/ward/
    I have started my research after reading a webpage, which read that Internet Explorer records user-activity. I will present my findings here. I have conducted my research on Windows 95 OSR 2.1 using Internet Explorer 4.01. Internet Explorer 3 has similar behaviour, but its filenames and some details are a little bit different.
    When one of the above mentioned programs is installed, there will be several hidden files in several directories, these files are called index.dat in IE4. The directory-names depend on the language version of the program. In the English version they are: <WindowsDirectory>\Cookies, <WindowsDirectory>\History, <WindowsDirectory>\Temporary Internet Files and underlying directories; if userprofiles are installed, then the following directories are also used: <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\Cookies, <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\History and <WindowsDirectory>\Profiles\<Username>\Temporary Internet Files.

These files (and directories) are hidden well. If, for example, the following DOS-command is issued:
    C:\WINDOWS> DIR /A /S INDEX.DAT
    then no files will be found. In most cicrumstances it also is not possible to rename or delete these files. When the user tries to do so, DOS confronts the user with the following error messages (I use a Dutch version, so they might be different): Divide by Zero or Double filename or the file is already in use. Microsoft Support explains this in Appendix A. and in Appendix B.

Al these files (screendump 1) start with the text Client UrlCache MMF. The same text can be found in the file <WindowsDirectory>\System\Wininet.dll (screendump 2). These files (index.dat) are maintained from Wininet.dll. However, this DLL is not necessary for Internet access, depsite it’s suggesting name: only Internet Explorer 4 needs it; Netscape Navigator 4.X not!
    These files (index.dat) contain URLs and Cookies of websites previously visited by the user.

If the user tries to erase all traces of earlier visited web pages, by going through the following procedure: Start Inter Explorer, View, Internet Options, Clear History, Yes, Delete Files, Yes, Settings, View Files, Ctrl-A, Del, Yes, then the historic information remains in (at least) one of the (index.dat) files. This does not correspond to the explanation of Microsoft Support (Appendix), because earlier visited URLs do not have to be stored if the user clears the cache and history! Try the procedure mentioned here and then try the program which you can find at http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ .

Now the question remains: why is this and what can be the consequences?
    The link between the files and Wininet.dll could make us believe, that these files can be transferred when certain command are issued by the server. I do not want to speculate about the ‘why is this’-question, but I can think about some reasons. Fact is that a situation is created, whether created ‘by accident’ or ‘on purpose’, where the privacy of the user is at stake...

4. bboop

bboop Thread Starter

Since there is no mention of ie6 ,I have to assume that it's not included. so I'll pass on that. thanks for the info

5. redbird

redbird

Hello, We were in the computer and when my husband tried to leave the site he was in he had a difficult time getting out. Then when I started to play with it there was a new icon on my desktop display. Also, there are a couple of others that I don't know how we got them there. Can you help?

6. john1

john1

Hi redbird,

You're in the right site,
    but not quite the right place!

Start a new thread,
    click on the forum jump at the bottom.

John

7. bboop

bboop Thread Starter

check this out, redbird

8. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Spider is good though I'm not sure how well it works with IE6.
    I run IE6 now, his site claims that Spider works with IE thru 5 and the prob spider fixes is fixed in IE6. I dont think so - still got them pesky swelling index.dat files showing all those bad sites you went to (ok your kid went to), even after Spidering there's still some url's showing in index.dat
    another way is to paste this into your autoexec.bat file:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\history\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\tempor~1\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\temp\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\cookies\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\ShellIconCache
    @echo Done
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    BEFORE YOU DO: I was really leary of putting a "deltree the destroyer" command in my autoexec. What if the process choked at deltree windows..... Use this advice at your own risk, like anything you read on TSG or any advice you recieve anywhere.
    Anyway it runs just fine for me it slows bootup just a tad but the @echo done tells you when this part of bootup is done and windows just goes on gurgling on it's way booting up. And you are squeaky clean every time you boot. No cookie is so important that it can't be recreated every time I go to a site. (I never have any site save a password for me - I use AI Roboform for a password filler, Gator is better at it but is vicious nasty SPYWARE)

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

I have XP and IE6 and Spider works just fine

buck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice