1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spies

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by 1gmoney, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

I just bought a new Dell and I now have Mcafee Firewall and virus protection for it. I never thought about spyware until I found this site and now I think I really need it, although I worry about conflict with Mcaffe. Is there something that is recommended I can download, I didn't really realize MS is so interested in my information, I'd rather have my privacy.

FWIW, I disabled the XP firewall.

I do have one other question, my old computer monitor gave it up and prompted me to get the Dell. I had everything backed up good, except I forgot to back up MS Outlook - so I cannot access all my contact info. Is there a way to connect my old computer to my new one's monitor to save the Outlook data? Thanks in advance for help - you folks are great!

Gman

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Download BOTH spybot and adaware. Update both. Run one then reboot. Run the second one, then reboot. If you have WINME make sure you turn off the system restore feature before you reboot each time.

Are you looking for the address book, or your .pst files?

Oh and welcome to the forum ;)

3. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

I am trying to recover the address book and get back the emails I have saved under various folders - would those emails/folders be considered pst files? I am not familiar with that term.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will do that at once. What is the main differences between the two softwares? Should I go to downloads.com to retrive them?

4. BillC

BillC

Yes, you can get both Spybot and Ad-Aware at Download.com site. Neither one has a history of conflict with McAfee. And with a firewall like Mcafee, it is proper to disable the XP firewall.

What e-mail client do you have on your new Dell withXP? If I had to guess, I'd guess Outlook Express and i believe the two e-mail clients use different file extensions.

5. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

Sweet, do not know much about IT but found some thread that recommended disabling XP's firewall.. I actually do not use Outlook Express as I prefer Outlook's setup. Is there anything else I would need to do, just trying to protect myself and computer from harm.

Thanks again.

6. BillC

BillC

I'd added SpywareBlaster to help protect my machine from spyware {small and free}. Run your antivirus program on a regular bases. Update all of your programs from time to time.

Never open an attached file in your e-mail without scanning it first with McAfee, even if it appears to be from a trusted friend. And remember noone, but noone, sends "fixes" or "patches" via e-mail! If you open one, you will be FIXED for sure. That's my view. :)

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Your personal folders would be pst files and your address book would be a pab file. Use search *.pst; *.pab to find them.

8. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

Great ideas all! One thing I don't understand, run a mcafee scan on all emails that I receive prior to opening them, how would I do that, (I thought it happened automatically but I see not). Would I just log in their site and have the email scanned ?

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

[​IMG]

Make sure you use BOTH spybot AND adaware! Update both before you run them and reboot in between the scans!

There should be a place in the program where you can turn incoming and outgoing mail scans on/off.

10. BillC

BillC

Hi again... Forgive me, sometimes I don't make myself clear. What I mean is to scan any attached files in your e-mail before you open the file. I did not mean the e-mail itself.

Does that make sense now? :D

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

[​IMG]

Nope! Now I'm more confused than ever :D

Before your e-mail program gets the e-mail it is scanned by the anti-virus program (including attachments). If it is clean, then it passes it along to the e-mail program. If it is not clean, it either rejects it or puts it in quarantine. It works just in reverse when you send one.

12. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

That's what I thought the anti-virus program did, scan incoming as well as outcoming attachments and emails auto matically. I understand now what to do.

13. BillC

BillC

Here is what I mean. I have several security programs that scan incoming mail including attachments. However, it is my practice to save the attahments to a file and scan theme there to double check.

Paranoid? Ya, probably, but the first Sobig virus got past McAfee and managed to get in my machine. The good news is that ZoneAlarm alerted me when winmgm32.exe tried to get internet access.

If you are curious, try the GFI e mail security tests to see if anything can get by. Anyway, that is my view.

:)

14. 1gmoney

1gmoney Thread Starter

That sounds good, I have seen too many infected computers and I dont want to join that crowd.

15. jbredmound

jbredmound

Hi!

Welcome to TSG!

In the Security Forum, there are two "Important" posts, one entitles "Security Problems?..." and the other "Security Tools". They are on the first page of the forum, not too far down.

Take a look at those posts, as they are a wealth of information.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice