1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spill on netbook keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pantsuk08, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pantsuk08

pantsuk08 Thread Starter

I own an Asus eee PC 1000HA netbook. I spilled crystal light on my keyboard (it's a sugar-free lemonade flavored drink). I took out the battery, blotted it with a paper towel, and used a blow dryer (set on cool) to try to blow out the moisture. Then, I partially dismantled it and took out the hard drive. After about 15- 20 minutes, I put the netbook back together and turned it on. It successfully booted, but I found that the mouse pad did not work. I then left it idle, and when the computer went to sleep (which it usually does when I leave it idle), I was unable to turn it back on. So I dismantled it again. After about an hour, i reassembled the computer and was able to boot it up again. However, I found that the mouse pad still did not work, and my keyboard did not work either. Right now - I've taken out the hard drive again and have not turned it on since. Is my keyboard fried or is there a chance it will regain function if left to dry for a day - week? Or is there anything I can do right now to give my laptop a better chance?

2. TekTime

TekTime

It's possible that you keyboard and mouse pad were damaged from the fluids.
    (even plain water can damage the electrical components within a computer)

Let it dry for a day and if the problem persists, the keyboard and mouse may be fried, unfortunately.

Always remember, never have fluids in close proximity of your computer! I'm guilty of this from time to time and I have to catch myself...it happens.

3. vicks

vicks

I think you are probably out of luck.....spills are not covered in warranty...
    My granddaughter had water spill on her netbook....The mfg wanted $99.00 US to replace the keyboard/touch pad. I was able to use a usb mouse with it. She opted to not spend the $$$ to repair it since she only paid about 200 for it.
    vicks

4. squall_01

squall_01

Probably best if it dries out. If nothing else you can get a usb mouse or take it down to a local tech repair an see what they cant do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice