Spilled a drink in the keyboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Morania

I spilled some wine on the keyboard of my laptop, a low-end Gateway model, and have a stuck key error at start-up. I know what I would do for the desk top keyboard but I've never messed with my laptop. How do you clean these out.

its just like with a desk-top keyboard
You should be able to take out the keys using a screwdriver or something
From there just clean using a dry cloth (make sure its switched off)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Very carefully! You will most likely have to disassemble the laptop to do a decent cleaning job, and that's not a job for an amateur. I'd also address this right away, since the more time the material stays on the keyboard, the worse the damage will become.

The first thing you do is get a kids sipper cup or stop binge drinking at the computer!! This is a good reason NOT to drink anything around your keyboard, I have seen where it will completely fry out the keyboard and I would definately not be drinking around a laptop keyboard. You can take them off and pop the keys off, but be very careful. They do sell the rubberized indestructible keyboards now and you could use that as an external keyboard to keep this from happening in the future.

Morania

I didn't say I was drinking around the laptop.
I do drink around my desktop and if I spill anything in the keyboard- never have in years- I go to my parts trunk, get out a new keyboard and get rolling again. Even the the MS Internet Keyboards are cost effectively disposable.

If you would like to know how the wine got to the laptop, I will be posting the full account on my business web site shortly.

LOL....I was giving you greif. Laptops are far too spendy to get fixed....better safe than sorry.

Morania

I took the thing up to my favorite bench and the fellow there said that since I still had lights a whirring noises and a attempt at video that a "laptop tune-up/cleaning would probably do the trick. Let him have the tedious task at a flat rate.
In the future, let's put the creative back into 'creative writing'. Humour on the page is best attempted by Wesleyan graduates.
:D

Morania

They're just wonderful at everything. Simple.
Have coffee with one sometime. It'll change your life.

Oh, yes. Found a few cheap Gateways on E-bay and a converter to retrieve my data in case my Druid can't do anything with the knee-top.

Damn right, it's a beautiful day.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online