1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled coffee and won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amiralilameh, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amiralilameh

Amiralilameh Thread Starter

Hey there , about 4-5 hours ago I spilled a third of a cup of coffee onto my laptop , the keyboard got soaked , but it really wasn't an enormous amount of coffee , I unplugged the charger and can't do the same with battery because it's attached , few seconds later it shut down automatically ... I lay it sideways and a good amount of liquid came out and now it's fully dry or almost but it nor charges nor it turns on .... what am I supposed to do ? Let it sit for couple of more hours or take it to a technician ?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If the coffee spill occurred only 4 - 5 hours ago, the inside of that laptop is NOT dry and should NOT be powered on.

Was there cream and/or sugar in your coffee?
    If there was, that's going to add to the stickiness and drying time.

Hopefully, you have it turned upside down and in a position where it can dry out better.

Taking it to a reliable laptop technician may be your best option.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Amiralilameh likes this.
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

I have heard of putting a cell phone in a container with rice to dry it out.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should have power the laptop immediately using the power button, simply press and hold the power button until it turned off.

You should remove the keyboard from the laptop and examine the rest of it for deeper spill.

I would plan on buying a replacement keyboard, while you have it out of the laptop get the model number off the back if it. However if the liquid got deeper then you may have to disassemble it even further to dry it properly. I'd also be concerned that it wasn't turned off immediately but shut itself off and that it may have fried the motherboard. You may want to take it to a good repair shop to have it cleaned and tested.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model laptop is it ? Asking because some have better protection from liquid spills than others.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice