1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled coffee on laptop, question about replacement parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shibbyceltic, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shibbyceltic

shibbyceltic Thread Starter

So I spilled coffee on my laptop, over the keyboard. I turned it off immediately, took out the power, but stupidly left the battery in. I wiped it dry, left it a couple of hours, then tried turning it on. It started for a second then turned off again. Yes I now realise what a idiot I am for doing this.

So I opened it up, cleared out all the excess coffee. I had only spilled the coffee on the left hand side of the keyboard, and directly underneath this area is the the fan which didn't seem to have any residue on it, and the power board assembly. The motherboard was on the otherside of the laptop and free from harm.

So having cleaned it out as much as possible and let it dry out for days, I try turning it on and it won't even start up. I'm thinking that I may have messed up by turning it on after only a few hours, and with pic related being directly underneath and probably covered in coffee, it short circuited and ruined it.

My question is does this mean the entire motherboard and electrical components of the laptop are defective? Bearing in mind no coffee was spilled on the motherboard. Or might it mean only this particular component, the power board/switch assembly which connects the power button to the motherboard, is broken? Will replacing this part alone be enough to salvage my laptop?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. As you say - easy to do but a rather expensive cup of coffee

3. Such a problem is I am sorry to say impossible to solve - in an online situation - the only advise that I can offer is
    If you are not technically knowledgeable enough to dismantle the laptop and check circuits with a meter - not of course with power connected - then it is a lost cause until you evaluate the cost effectiveness of paying for a computer repair business to evaluate it.

Coffee - water is of course a conductor and will effectively short live to earth - anything could have gone.

SORRY but a real and effective analysis will require professional test equipment and IMHO depending on local rates - you are talking about something in the order of £30 just to tell you it is a lost cause.

Unless it is a valuable - newish laptop I would think your best is to take out the HDD and see if that is a run connected to another computer in an enclosure or docking station

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model laptop is it ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice