1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled coffee on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mzmarzy, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mzmarzy

mzmarzy Thread Starter

HELP!! My daughter just spilled coffee on her laptop and it doesn't work. What can she do? How can she retrieve her files? She's frantic as she was working on a paper due tomorrow. It's a Dell 500m, if this helps.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    oh dear thats unlucky.
    i would hope it dries out
    take the batteryout and clean round that
    But if it was on and has got wet - it may have shorted it out.

water + electrics do not mix
    so you may not get it working again without a repair.

make model of laptop - some laptops you can quit easy take the HDD out - but you will need a new laptop same make and model to put it in and use the data off the old hdd

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, tomorrow may be a problem if you don't have a local computer store. :D

I use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and connect the drive on the secondary channel of the IDE controller to retrieve files. I suspect it's going to be the path of least resistance.

4. mzmarzy

mzmarzy Thread Starter

Thanks, we temporarily fixed the problem by taking out the hard drive and putting it in another laptop (just happened to have one). So we were able to access the data and the paper due tomorrow is saved. We'll see if the laptop works after a thorough drying out. Again, thanks!! These forums with folks like you ready to help are great!

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    wow - i thought that would be a verylong shot that you had another laptop available. and some laptops it can be a pain - although th ecompaq N600C's are easy to do that too.
    (y)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think a simple drying out will work. Your best bet would be to have it completely disasembled and througly cleaned out.

7. mzmarzy

mzmarzy Thread Starter

Thanks for this advice, I'll take it in for a thorough cleaning.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And I'd do that ASAP! The longer that something with sugar stays on the components, the less likely that it'll survive the experience. I like to get them cleaned up before it initially dries.

9. IronMike778

IronMike778

Two words you never want to see in the same sentence:
    Spilled and Laptop.

D 'oh !!

Congrats on saving your data. I once lost a computer to this same thing, only it was soda. That laptop never lived to see another day!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/349167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice