1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled liquid on a dell laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chancesf, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chancesf

chancesf Thread Starter

My wife spilled some liquid on top of my laptop. It immediately turned off. We let it dry overnight and prayed it will work but this morning pushed the power button, it would power up but nothing on the screen and no HD spinning. Should we continue to see if things work better with more "drying". Please help....

2. obvious

obvious

what kind of liquid was it?

3. chancesf

chancesf Thread Starter

lemonade...

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The lemonade will leave a conductive residue, so extra drying is unlikely to help.

Its probably repairable (assuming you also immediately removed the battery) but would require a full strip-down and a wash of the circuit boards.

Unless you have microsurgery skills its easy to do permanent damage disassembling a laptop, professional service is recommended.

5. obvious

obvious

that's true. if it were tea/coffee with milk and/or sugar it would be bad enough to clear out due to the additional "gunking up" effect , but at least lemonade hasnt got a risk of burning anything! but lemonade, holy crap, there's no telling what's in it!

is the laptop still in warranty? i really hope so!

6. brite750

brite750

citric acid, sugar, water, fruit pulp, basically, it would have to be completely disassembled and rinsed.

I know the name of a good divorce lawyer :eek: :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice