1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled Milk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ksamuel, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksamuel

ksamuel Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-209, just bought it in the end of June, and it has already met a possible death. So, I need help.

My toddler decided this morning that everything (me, the cats, my sleeping husband, and also my laptop) needed to drink from his bottle. I had gotten up to grab the phone and within that few seconds, my son got about a tsp of milk on the keyboard of my laptop. I turned it off to dry it off. I thought nothing of it honestly, as I've had laptops work after having 32 oz of pop poured on them (ex husband did that... to try to ruin my Toshiba I had a few years back... it lived).

I restarted it and everything went fine, but when I got to the desktop, it was acting like multiple buttons were being pressed. So I turned it off and tried wiping it off again. I let it sit vertically and open in front of a fan so it could dry a bit more.

When I went to turn it back on, this time, it went immediately to a system repair. Okay, fine... Nope, not fine... It proceeded to make the annoying hum that computers make when say you're pc is frozen and you're hitting keys (I hate that noise... but usually it's only a quick noise... this time it was on going). I let it run the repair and it went to my desktop again (took 20 minutes). Again, the keys were spastic and it shut off on its own.

I turned it back on and it did the system repair, nothing... I tried again, and it went to do a system restore. After the system restore, it went to the desktop. At this point, my keyboard stopped letting me even press the enter button. I plugged an external USB keyboard in. Spastic keys still going on though. I shut it off for about 30 minutes.

When I started it back up, it wouldn't even go past the screen that says, "Start Windows normally," or "Run system repair (recommended)." If I pressed enter it would just hum and do nothing.

I thought I could take the keyboard off and clean it. However, I'm at a loss here. I took all the screws out, but I cannot get the computer apart at all. I did manage to clean some dust out, but that wasn't exactly the issue I am having.

So now, I have no idea what to do and I can't figure out how to get the computer apart to try to do something.

Compaq told me to send it to them and it would cost 526 dollars to have it repaired (it didn't even cost that much) and I've called and left a message with a local repair shop.

I just thought I would try to ask for help on the internet. I know spills are the no. 1 death of laptops, but it's not dead yet. I KNOW that it works and still goes to the Desktop. It just seems to be that because the keyboard is spazzing out it won't let it do anything.

Help

2. TheRedemp

TheRedemp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8leHJxqrfk

That is a link to dismantle a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop; follow the instructions it should be the same (if you're wanting to take it apart and clean it for yourself). When cleaning it just take precautions, and use common sense). Personally, I've never took apart a laptop to clean it; but I'm assuming it wouldn't be much of an issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice