1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilled salt into my Dell Studio Slim

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tycal, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tycal

tycal Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Essentially the story is this: around two years ago, I managed to knock a shaker of salt onto the top grill of my Dell Studio Slim. I watched a pretty large amount drain into the machine (which was on) before snatching it up.

It carried on working until last winter, when (because my bedroom gets so cold) it stopped working. I then left it in front of a heater for about a week, and this seemed to solve the problem. Now winter is upon us, it's stopped working again. The PSU shows slight signs of corrosion, and being at the bottom of the machine, there's a chance that that is where the salt ended up. Other than that I've dusted the inside, reseated the hard-drive and RAM and cleaned the main fan.

The problem is this: I press the power button, and it begins to boot but then shuts off, before turning on again with the fans going at maximum speed. The front light stays amber.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Other than the salt, obviously.

Do I need to wait for Spring?

Thanks,
    Tycal

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive heard of a lot of things being spilled in a computer but not salt.I would have to say the salt probably corroded a lot of things such as the motherboard. Waiting for spring isnt going to do it any good.I would take it somewhere and have it looked at and see what the problem is and if its even worth fixing.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Salt is a dry product. Why on earth didn't you open the case immediate and blow it out? It's been corroding your system for 2 years. There's nothing you can do about it now. You need a new computer. Don't waste your time or money taking it some place. They'd just sell you a new motherboard, power supply, memory, video card, hard drive etc. That's a new computer.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Salt is hygroscopic (attracts moisture). If the salt only entered the power supply, I would jump a known good power supply to the board and see if the machine boots. If salt remained on the motherboard or other components in two years you should certainly observe corrosion on those parts.If you don't observe any corrosion on the board or other components you may have gotten lucky and only the power supply is damaged.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice