1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spilled soup on mom's laptop..... =(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by countingstars, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countingstars

countingstars Thread Starter

so as the title read i spilled soup on my mom's laptop and she is totally sweet about it and doesn't seem concerned... so naturally that makes me feel like an even worse human being and i'm super worried.

anyways i pulled the battery out and disconnected it from the charger right away. i read online to basically dump some isoprpyl based alcohol (that's 100% alcohol) on the keyboard and then let it dry or something along those lines. I also read that if the soup had meat in it (which it did) the fat in the soup may dry and congeal the keys, but no directions as how to deal with that specific circumstance. i went around to the stores in my town and only found 91% isopropyl based alcohol (description says it does have water in it....). I havent done anything with it just yet because i do not want to make any wrong moves. would love to deal with this asap before it completely dries and im screwed (or am i screwed anyways?). some soup also fell on the power button and in one corner of the screen =( ill never eat soup near a laptop aginnnnnnn! let me know if there is anymore info i can add to help figure out this situation, thank you to the kind and helpful people out there!!!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    First thing I WOULDA done was wipe it off with a towel or napkin and stuck the laptop in a BIG bag/bowl of rice....tbh, the only way I KNOW OF to see if its going to work or not is to make sure its completely dry and power it on. A lot of laptops have a thin layer of like plastic type stuff on the bottom of the keyboard...I guees to help against this exact problem?? But anyway point is the plastic "shield" may have protected the computer. I had a friend with a very similar situation and all it ended up needing done was a keyboard replacement, which cost me about 20$ on eBay and half hour to replace it, hopefully you'll get to be lucky to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice