Spilled Tea on Notebook Computer Keyboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JHY-IC

I recently had the misfortune of spilling a small amount of tea on the keyboard of my notebook computer.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 8100. I am comfortable with taking my computer apart, as I recently installed a new 60G hard drive.

I cleaned the computer as much as I possibly could. The insert, home, delete, end, backspace, and enter keys continue to stick. The delete key remains depressed about 10 seconds after it is used.

I took the keyboard off of the notebook to see if any further cleaning was possible. I was wondering if it is possible to submerge the keyboard into water to allow further removal of the spilled tea.

Anyone have any ideas for cleaning the remainder of the keyboard. I took one key completely off the keyboard, but it is hard to replace.

Thanks!

Joseph

Honestly, when it comes to a laptop keyboard, you're better off just buying a new one off ebay for a few bucks. You can't just dump it in water, you'd have to pull off the keys and clean it manually. My old Gateway Solo had a similar experience with a can of coke. I think it was $15 for me to replace it, I was lazy.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've had the best luck removing the keyboard, and washing it in hot running water. After the washing, I use canned air to get all the water from under the keys that I can, then put it in a LOW oven at no more than 150F, preferably more like 125F, and back it overnight.

If you can remove the keytops, that will help in the washing and drying process. I've rescued a number of keyboards this way, but I've also had a couple that didn't come back. The longer the stuff is on the keyboard, the less chance of recovery, so if you're going to clean it, I'd get at it right away!

A KEy board can be ran in the washing machine just has to dry for a while. KEyboards stop working when water it spilled on it because of the power running through it when it comes in contact with water and shorts out. i suggest running hot water on it and letting it sit for a day to dry out or use the over good idea.. be carful however they parts of a laptop keybaord are very ..fragile

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online