1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

spilled water on my desktop PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bliki, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

So Like 1 hour ago I spilled water near my PC and I think some of it got to the PC because it's not picking up any Display port including Displayport and DVI and hdmi, everything else works correctly, both my mouse and keyboards LED turn on, I have tried Unplugging the monitor, Taking out the graphics card and puting it back in and turning on and off the PC
    Help Apreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If this is a laptop then it is not good. Everything is underneath the keyboard and the keyboard as you know has holes. The other thing bad about laptops is that all components are on the motherboard, you spill water and it can damage anything or everything - its all connected one piece.

Keyboard LEDS and mouse light means nothing except that power is reaching them. It does not mean they are working. The motherboard components that control them can be damaged and they will still light up, but you can't use them any more.

Rice is a good moisture absorbent, It also goes into tiny spaces. But you have to shake the PC really well to get rid of it, because a grain or 2 can be lodged somewhere. Of course, power off your laptop as soon as you can and don't use it for 2 days.

3. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

It's an Desktop not laptop.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you see the computers POST (the writing before Windows is loaded) or can you get to any menus/BIOS before Windows shows?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have pw it ON, the chances of it working are slim however you can try the following;
    1 System OFF and unplugged remove any add-in card ie sound, video, whatever
    2 Move the system to a warm dry area ie garage, warm room, etc
    3 Leave it alone for at least 24hr ie do not touch, pw ON or anything
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper [if used] to the normal position
    5 Install whatever cards you removed
    6 Connect pw cord and attempt to pw ON. Either it will work or it will not. If not, you will have to start swapping parts with known good units.

6. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

Nope it just says No signal, but before I turned it off I could still do commands and hear the sounds.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is your video card separate? Does the motherboard have its own video port? If so, can you connect to that?

8. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

It is seperate, and no port works.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well if the motherboard's video output doesn't work too... i wonder if the monitor is the issue. Are you able to connect the monitor to something else?

10. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

I haven't tried that yet, but I tried two monitors and both don't work and with two different cables

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, then if both motherboard and dedicated video ports are not working... I am not sure what it would be other than the motherboard itself.

12. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

How do I know if the motherboard does not work? The fans of the Video Card turns on and USB ports work too because I can do commands with the mouse and I can charge my phone.

13. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

And its not dedicated video ports, the ones on the Motherboard don't work, but neither does the video card ones.

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

What commands can you do with the mouse - if you can't see anything?

15. Bliki

Bliki Thread Starter

I think I'm doing because I use windows and it does like an Sound when you multiselect, and I was playing around with the mouse and sounds were coming

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice