1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilt coffee on computer...Problems now when booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Forgotten18, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forgotten18

Forgotten18 Thread Starter

Alright, let me first say I made the fatal mistake of having a drink near my laptop early the other morning. Disaster struck and my computer was hit with some lukewarm java. I cleaned i up, and started it up again shortly later, everything was in working order. A short time after that I tried starting it up and got a white screen of death on boot. Long story short...the screen went out and now everything is barely visible (very very very dim), I've heard that this could be a problem with the "backlight". My other problem, which I believe is OS related is that when I boot up I get this screen that says something along he lines of press f1 to resume or f10 for startup. Pressing f1 gets me an "unsupported wireless adapter, system halting message", while f10 gets me a PhoneixBIOS screen. On the BIOS screen if I move over to tools, HDD test, then short test and run it, then reboot my computer, windows XP launches fine on the next reboot. However, it seems that everytime I start my computer I need to do this test. Also, seems if I take too long to reboot after the test (i.e. I walk away from the comp.) I got that F1, F10 screen again.

If anyone knows the problem or how to fix this from happening and could help I'd greatly appreciate it. (Any info. about the screen not working would help too, although I believe thats a hardware issue entirely)

Thanks.

2. brillser

brillser

Hi,
    I'd suggest that you get the coffee matter completely out of the way first, to do that right you should take it to your local repair and have them clean it out for you. That's assumeing that all these problems are happening since the coffee incident?

3. Forgotten18

Forgotten18 Thread Starter

Yes, all of this has happened right after the coffee incident. =(

4. brillser

brillser

Any spillage like that will always seep beyond the membrane of your keyboard. which is bound to couse trouble. Don't try to clean it yourself.
    I've heard tech heads saying that they would'nt try to go inside a laptop.

5. zabusant

zabusant

Yup, I wouldn't attempt to disassemble a laptop. I mean, you can do little things like taking out the battery, RAM, HDD, but for a proper cleanup you'll need to remove the keyboard and detach a wire or two that you might need to solder back on and other things like that. It's just a real hustle and every model has it's own configuration so there's no one-fits-all guide to do it.

Check if your warranty hasn't expired yet, maybe you can get a freebie:)

I know you just want to get it going again, but if it's not cleaned properly, there's a good chance it'll only go from bad to worse. I suggest you unplug it, take out the battery and take it to be repaired. You should contact the store you bought it in, to get the info on where you should take it.

Good luck!:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice