1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Spilt milk on laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whereamI, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whereamI

whereamI Thread Starter

Well, I'm a fairly accident-prone person, and this characteristic was well-manifested as I spilled milk on my laptop (while it was on) - including the keyboard. I quickly wiped up what milk I saw, but certainly didn't reach all of it. Everything was fine for a while, but soon some keystrikes of one character produced two or three characters. One character now produces the date and time. I then restarted (as I was unsure if the milk was the problem since the computer has other problems). Of course, nothing changed.

This Micron was bought used without manuals. Out of warranty. Windows 98.

How should I proceed?

If I don't make this corny joke, someone else will: Yes, I am crying over spilled milk.

2. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

:( You're going to have to take it apart and clean it, if spilt milk is the problem. Any chance you have an external keyboard to use instead?

3. whereamI

whereamI Thread Starter

Thanks. So, could you direct me to some guidance re: taking it apart and cleaning. Should I back everything up first in case something goes wrong?

I'm assuming that an external keyboard would work with my laptop. However, it would make the laptop much less mobile.... I think I want to try the cleaning option.

4. whereamI

whereamI Thread Starter

Ahh. Please don't bother with answering questions in my post.

There is a more natural remedy than dissembing and cleaning: prayer. The problems disappeared!

5. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

That's AcaCandy's job :D

You should go to the website and see if there is a manual you can download to guide you. These parts are very small and you need to keep them in such a way as you get them put back in the correct place.

Yes by all means do a backup first and be prepared to reload the device and replace any hardware you damage :eek:

Let me beckon her and see what she says before you do anything.

6. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

How nice is that ?? :D

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I guess I arrived in the nick of time :D

I've only spilt wine on my keyboards, they have a hangover in the morning, but usually recover if I grind two aspirin up and toss them onto it as well :D

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Like the old saying says: "There's no sense in crying over spilled milk !"

9. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

Oh, someone had to go there!! :D

LOL, Candy got lucky on this one, but I like the way she would have resolved it!

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Prophecy at its finest ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247228