1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

splash screen and ram

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gorper99, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Is there any way to turn off the splash screen on startup?Also have an older machine with 64on the ram.I have an extra 128 stick.Is it ok to use this or do they have to be the same?Does it matter which one goes in which slot?

2. raybro

raybro

To turn off the spash screen (and lots of other goodies) get TweakUI. Since you currently are running with only 64mb of RAM, it's safe to assume you are not running XP as your OS. So, you would need version 1.33. You can get it here (free):

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

Regarding your RAM.. NEVER mix types of RAM. To find out what you need, go to www.crucial.com , enter your computer make and model and they will tell you what kind of RAM you should be using.

If you have different sizes of RAM sticks, it is advisable to always have the largest in the first slot.

You can also D/L AIDA32 here (also free)

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

It will tell you just what RAM you have installed in your system. Heres a screen shot of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi, You fail to mention which operating system you are using. Raybro hit it on the head with the tweakui as this is a nifty toy. However, if you use WinMe you will not be able to disable the splash screen in this manner. I have it disabled on my WinMe and can help if need be. I don't want to type all the instructions if not necessary so let me know if you need it. Ciao :cool:

4. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Yes-I do need it for millenium.

5. raybro

raybro

Hi TheJoost... The M$ site link I gave says TweakUI v1.33 applies to ME. Or did you mean the splash screen disable feature in TweakUI doesn't work on ME? :confused: Can't speak to that, as I've never used ME.

6. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi Guys, Yeah, for some bizarre reason when you run TweakUI under WinMe the Boot Tab has gone missing :confused: (thanks billy! :mad: ). But here is a workaround that is fairly easy to do if you are careful, so have no fear! First off, it's always a good idea to set a restore point before tweaking your system just in case. O.K., Ready? Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\Ms Dos Prompt and in the dos box type> attrib -r -s -h c:\msdos.sys and hit 'Enter'. Now type> notepad c:\msdos.sys and hit 'Enter'. Now you should be in notepad, so put your cursor at the end of the line that says 'Options' and hit 'Enter' to add a new line. Now type> logo=0 and save the file and close notepad. Now you should be back at the dos box so type> attrib +r +s +h c:\msdos.sys and hit 'Enter' and close the dos box. Pay notice to the spaces and make sure you type 0 not the letter O. Go ahead and reboot and the splash screen should be history! (y) :D Post if you encounter a difficulty! Cheers and Ciao!

7. brindle

brindle

I thought what I did was rename logow.sys,logos.sys and logo.sys to .old but when I did a file find they were not to be found. I must of just deleted them. Try renaming those three files.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!