Splash Screen Hanging to long

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robodoc

My Computer = Video Board = Raydeon 7000 64 MB DDR AGP4X/2X BUS
M/B MSI KT4Ultra w/ via KT333 chipset 512 Ram DDR 333FSB Athlon 2600
40G Maxtor 133.

Computer is the oldest of four I own. Mama and kids have the new stuff. I have the stuff to build a new one to blow by them, but up until now this computer has worked just fine for what I use it for.

I took some digital pics of our last senior in high school to save on senior pictures. I had them burned to disc at Wallgreens or Wal-mart. Viewed them just fine, but others wanted copies. I stup up the D and E CD-ROM drives as usual and called up Nero to make copies. Up until now I had only used them for dubbing music. Multiple windows slowly appeared, Nero never fully loaded and I lost control. Ctrl,Alt Del, was no help, full lock-up, hard shut down. Now when I reboot the computer it hands on the XP Splash screen for a full cup of coffee. Once in, all seems ok, but even at this units age, I had the start up streamlined enough as to where she came up pretty quick... Not any more. Any suggestions?
robodoc

robodoc

I've run Spybot, Ad Aware, Registry Mechanic, Check Disk, and De-Frag. No Help.

robodoc, why not reinstall and save yourself the time and headaches.
there is nothing like a fresh install :)

*If that is not the preferred option...
First try this;
CHKDSK
How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Then try this;
System File Check
http://www.pchomecall.org.uk/support/sfc.htm
Make sure you read the whole tutorial first OK.

1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.
Volume is the hard drive usually called local disk C:

And then you could try a repair;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
and you can post any minidump logs you have :)

robodoc

Did the chkdsk/f , nothing found. Tried restoring to a date before the problem, no help. Ran Registry Mechanic, no help. I'm backing everything up, almost done, and then will probably wipe the drive and start over. I'm currently Fat 32 and would like to be NTFS. My new external HD is NTFS and the two don't like each other with the two different formats. I've heard you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without a wipe, I'm looking into that. I'm down to the address book and email backups left and then I'm off to the races.
robodoc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online