1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

splash screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ekih, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

when booting up I have a splash screen listing my OS's. I don't use one any more and have deleted it off of the HD.
    How do I remove it from the pick list.
    thanks

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

If you are referring to the "boot from OS " choices menu before windows loads, you need to remove it from your boot.ini file (located in the root directory)

Make a backup copy, just in case you wreck the boot.ini file before doing this:

Open boot.ini with notepad, and remove the deleted OS or partition from the boot.ini file and save it.

A default Windows XP Home boot.ini file contains the following:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

3. wahlroot

wahlroot

If you want to stop the splash screen. Your boot.ini file is usually hidden. In explorer pick Tools, Folder Options, View, Check Show Hidden Files And Folders. Right click the boot.ini file in your C: drive and pick Properties, uncheck Read Only, OK. Change the Timeout from 10 to 0. This will start the OS immediatly. Recheck Read Only.

4. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

I still have 2 OS running on 2 different drives so want to keep it at 5 sec select.
    I tried deleting the line with the OS that I wanted to get rid of, then rebooted to see if it worked. It didn't.
    When you say root would I have to go into both root drives and make the same changes?

5. Sequal7

Sequal7

No, just the one with Windows XP installed on it. What partition did you remove the other OS from?

What does your boot.ini file look like?

6. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

My D drive used to have winxp home but no longer that is the one that I am trying to delete from the boot screen. I have gone into both of the other drives and deleted the line with the OS that I no longer use. Below is the 2 drives that I use.
    Winxp main C drive
    Winxp pro E drive
    Winxp home used to be on D drive

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!