1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Splicing speaker wires

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biddlesby, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

2. brite750

brite750

3. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

I always thought creative were better than Logitech in the speaker department. Those speakers have great reviews.

The way I understand it, you can splice wires because they're just electrical signals. Anybody else have anything to say on this?

4. Arky

Arky

Splices will have absolutely no effect on the sound quality. However, depending on the wattage of your speakers, the wire guage in the cable will matter. The higher the wattage (translate to current in the wire) the heavier the gauge of wire that should be used to minimize losses in the cable.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd recommend a set of logitech z640's for around the same cost as the creative set you linked to. You'll get more output and excellent quality.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The z-640's and z-680's lack a little on the midrange and volume for me.. I'm useing two sets of Z-3's.
    For better sound, at the same price, but only 2.1 channel, get a set of Z-3's.

The Z-3 2.1 channel speakers have sound that's just about as close to perfect that you can get.

8. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Are you all sure those logitech ones are better than the creative ones?

9. brite750

brite750

Which ones? the 5.1 logitech sets are a little pricy ijust had the 2.1 they are great. when they came out the were rated as one of the best if not the best in their price range.

10. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

The creative ones i linked to at the beginning compared to the logitech ones that were linked to.

11. Whitestar

Whitestar

If you go with the creative set you dont need to splice the wires because you can buy cable extensions for those speakers from creative or even a general hardware store.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The logitechs are just as good or better than creative. Both have excellent sound. The logitechs are normally louder, which is why I recommended them. The creative are fine, but kinda lacking in the BOOM department. If you have a normal sized room, you'll want the extra kick the logitechs give.

You shouldn't have to splice wires with either choice as both connect with standard RCA plugs. Just get a dual RCA extention cable and if need be pull it in half to separate the wires..

13. Whitestar

Whitestar

The creative are fine, but kinda lacking in the BOOM department.

Oh, i dunno, i have 6.1 creative speakers and they definatly dont lack in the boom department.

But yeah, you should be able to buy the extension cables for both sets of speakers.

14. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

....for £10???? I'm tight with my money.

15. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

I've decided to go for the 6.1 creatives. They look good. Now it's a question of using my onboard AC'97 5.1 sound or getting a creative soundcard....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice